How Many of These Ingredients Do You Have in Your Pantry? | Cupcake Project

How Many of These Ingredients Do You Have in Your Pantry?

I often bake using basic pantry staples. Many of you could replicate those cupcake recipes without taking a trip to the store. My next cupcake, however, will likely require some shopping.

I never would have thought of creating a cupcake with carob, barley, chicory, almonds, dates, and figs were it not for Teeccino. After enjoying the flavor combination in beverage form, I thought, “Why not combine them all in a cupcake!” People often ask me how I get inspiration for cupcakes – well, this is it. I had a list of flavors and headed to the store to find them.

In order to make my Teeccino-inspired carob cupcake, I had to buy every item shown in the picture above except the almonds (almonds are a pantry staple for me). This got me wondering – how stocked are the pantries of my readers?

How many of the following do you have in your pantry? (Bragging rights and public accolades to the person who has the highest number.)

1. Any brand of barley wine
  2. Dates (whole, pitted, date jam, or baking dates)
  3. Figs (whole or fig jam)
  4. Chicory
  5. Sliced almonds
  6. Carob molasses

17 Responses to How Many of These Ingredients Do You Have in Your Pantry?

1. Cupcake Activist March 11, 2009 at 9:36 am #

I’m like Old Mother Hubbard….my cupboards are bare. I only have the bare essentials at home. When I plan on baking something, I usually have to buy a few ingredients to complete the recipe.

2. Ivy March 11, 2009 at 10:02 am #

I am pretty good at having all the baking and cooking ingredients I need for a recipe but, you have stumped me. I have none of the ingredients you list. Hurrmmmm!

3. Lisa-Marie March 11, 2009 at 10:16 am #

I have the almonds, but only because I recently made a flourless cake. I tend to re-stock the basics, and buy anything extra from bake to bake.

4. fluffyhelen March 11, 2009 at 10:17 am #

I have all of them! I cook and bake A LOT. I eat figs and dates as a snack. MMmmmm.

5. lgk March 11, 2009 at 10:33 am #

Fig preserves are the only thing on that list that I keep stocked. And that’s only because I eat a lot of cheese and crackers! (Fig preserves go swimmingly with a cheese plate…)

6. Stef March 11, 2009 at 11:01 am #

Cupcake Activist – That’s prob good. That way stuff doesn’t go bad.

Ivy – Well, it’s a unique list. Like I said, I only had one.

Lisa – Makes sense. I end up with lots of extra stuff cause I buy to bake but don’t use it all.

Fluffy – WOW!!! I’m curious what you typically use the carob molasses for.

Igk – Good point. Fig and cheese are so yummy together!

7. Jennywenny March 11, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

I always have almonds, and I like to have a ton of dried fruit so I have the figs and the dates, but any of the rest of it, no way!!

8. thereddeer March 11, 2009 at 3:23 pm #

Hmmm none of those things :( – I only have the very basics.

9. Kratzy March 11, 2009 at 6:36 pm #

Yes to:
    Dates – always have pitted in the pantry.
    Figs – dried and jam. Actually…today I have fresh as well – I went to a farmer’s market yesterday!
    Sliced almonds – and meal, blanched, slivered, flaked and whole.

While I don’t have carob molasses I do have general run of the mill molasses. And I while I don’t have chicory I have chicory essence.

Barley wine – didn’t know what it was!

10. Stef March 11, 2009 at 7:05 pm #

Jenny – Yeah, those are the ones I figured more people would have.

Reddeer – Perhaps you’ll be inspired to get some of them.

Kratzy – Oooh.. pretty close. And 3 kinds of fig – wow!! What do you do with your chicory essence?

11. Kratzy March 11, 2009 at 8:17 pm #

RE: Chicory essence. I think it is a British thing as it came from my Grandmother – not sure because I’m Australian – but I ocassionally add it to my coffee! If you read “new age” type of things it gives a sense of comfort and security.

12. A. Fiercehair March 11, 2009 at 8:38 pm #

Oddly enough, I have dates and almonds. I’m even surprised to have two of those ingredients. :)

13. Ginger March 12, 2009 at 11:45 am #

I have…. none. Though there are usually sliced or whole almonds floating around my home, my sister/roommate has eaten them all! I guess we sometimes have figs and/or dates, but my sister is really into prunes right now so those have taken over the seat of Dried-Fruit-Of-Choice in the house.

14. toontz March 12, 2009 at 1:36 pm #

Dates, almonds and figs. I have carob powder and regular molasses. I have never seen carob molasses for sell. Is it in the baking aisle? But then, I tend to space out after awhile in the grocery store. Too much stimulation for my wee little brain, lol! I know what chicory is and I avoid it at all costs…blech!!

15. How To Eat A Cupcake March 13, 2009 at 12:45 pm #

Any brand of barley wine – nope
    Dates (whole, pitted, date jam, or baking dates) – actually I recently bought some AND was given some by my aunt!
    Figs (whole or fig jam) – not yet but I have a fig tree…
    Chicory – nada
    Sliced almonds – whole, not slice :(
    Carob molasses – never even heard of it!

I guess I’m not well-stocked at all!

16. Jessica March 29, 2009 at 6:18 am #

I love your blog, you have the most creative receipts.

17. Sheri June 26, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

Well, 4 years after this discussion…I just stumbled across your blog looking for uses for carob molasses (I discovered them at a middle eastern market), and I have all of the listed ingredients besides the barley wine. More importantly, though, I used carob molasses to substitute for sugar in a banana-coconut oil bread recipe, and this bread is divine!