Cookie Dough Cupcakes Topped with Cookie Dough Frosting | Cupcake Project

Cookie Dough Cupcakes Topped with Cookie Dough Frosting

Cookie dough cupcakes have a surprise inside – cookie dough!!

But, cookie dough cupcakes also have cookie dough on the outside; I topped these cookie dough cupcakes with cookie dough frosting – literally cookie dough thinned out with a bit of heavy cream to make it spreadable. For an added bonus, there is a raw cookie sitting on top of the cupcake.

You could use the cookie dough filling and cookie dough frosting idea on any cupcakes.
Cookie Dough Filling

Cookie Dough Filling

If you are going to be serving raw cookie dough, I recommend that you use this eggless cookie dough recipe that is safe to eat.

Cookie Dough Frosting

To make the cookie dough frosting, mix one cup of raw cookie dough with one half cup of heavy cream. It tastes just like cookie dough, but spreads perfectly!

Brown Butter Cupcake Recipe

Update 8/21/11: I recently developed my own brown butter cupcake recipe.  I’d recommend trying that one out instead of the one in this post.

While any cake recipe would work (which one would you use?), I decided to make brown butter (or burnt butter depending on who you are talking to) cupcakes. The cake was rich and a fitting complement to the cookie dough. It might have been even better had I actually followed instructions.

The recipe clearly stated that I should use self-rising cake flour and not all-purpose flour. Since I didn’t have any self-rising cake flour sitting around, I just ignored that instruction. While I can’t say for sure how that affected the recipe, I will say that my rendition of the recipe made only six cupcakes while the recipe said that it made twelve. I suppose if I had used the correct flour, I would have ended up with twelve fluffy cupcakes vs. six dense cupcakes.

The burnt butter cupcake recipe came from the blog, Create! and I am reprinting it below with my notes.

Made 6 cupcakes for me with the all-purpose flour, but the recipe with the self-rising cake flour says it should make 12.

• 1/2 C plus 2 T unsalted butter
  • 3/4 C self-rising cake flour (NOT all-purpose; you can do it with all-purpose but – as I discovered – it cut the number of cupcakes in half!)
  • 3 T sugar
  • 5 T brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 2-3 T milk
  1. First, you must brown the butter. There are some photos of these steps below the cupcake recipe.
  • Place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it turns a dark golden color (3-5 minutes).
  • Take the pan off the heat and strain into a bowl (to separate from the sediment).
  • Let the butter sit until it solidifies, but is still a little soft. (This took almost 30 minutes because it’s hot here; if hot out, put in the fridge for about 10 minutes).
  • When the butter is solid yet soft, place in a food processor along with ALL cupcake ingredients except milk. Blitz! (I don’t own a food processor big enough to put everything in so I just used my Kitchen Aid.)
  • Add milk slowly and pulse till well-mixed.
  • Fill six cupcake liners to the top if you used all-purpose flour, or twelve cupcake liners halfway if you used self-rising cake flour.
  • Bake at 400 F for for 15-20 minutes.
  • When the cupcakes cool, use a paring knife to cut a hole in them and plop in a ball of cookie dough. See the photo at the top of this post.

Brown Butter Photos

Here’s what the strained stuff looks like from the brown butter. Beautiful, right?

And here’s the brown butter. Mmmm. There is a recipe on Create! for burnt butter frosting which I may have to try some time.

This photo has nothing to do with burnt butter. It is an expression of the joy that spring is finally here and cupcakes can be eaten outdoors!

26 Responses to Cookie Dough Cupcakes Topped with Cookie Dough Frosting

1. Rachel March 27, 2009 at 11:55 am #

Even if you did use self-rising flour there is no way that recipe would have yielded 12 cupcakes. 3/4 cup of any sort of flour is no where near enough.

2. How To Eat A Cupcake March 27, 2009 at 1:55 pm #

Wow you took cookie dough cupcakes to a new level. I want these!?!! :D

3. Lisa March 27, 2009 at 4:27 pm #

What a fun cupcake for those cookie dough lovers! Also a Brown Butter Cupcake recipe sounds like a necessary staple in my baking recipe box. Yum!

4. Amanda March 27, 2009 at 7:17 pm #

Is that giraffe + cupcake picture big enough to use as a desktop wallpaper? :) That is such a cute picture.

And… I wish I had one of your cookie dough cupcakes right now!

5. Elyse March 27, 2009 at 9:20 pm #

OH. MY. GAH. This is amazing, simply amazing. Not only does your cupcake base sound delicious (mmm, burnt butter cake…sign me up!), but the idea of having cookie dough AND cookie dough frosting is beyond good! How fabulous. I wish I could have one of these right now.

6. thereddeer March 28, 2009 at 3:38 am #

Looks very good – will have to give it a try one day.

7. Ivy March 28, 2009 at 7:04 am #

Yay! We can eat cupcakes outside!

8. Gigi March 28, 2009 at 9:57 am #

wow, the cupcakes are smashing! and i am so making your carob cupcakes a couple of posts down!

9. Sweet Things March 28, 2009 at 2:18 pm #

I think I just gained 5 pounds reading the blog post! :-) Amazing – I love cookie dough – this I’ll have to try!

10. Natalie March 30, 2009 at 4:58 am #

As a huge raw cookie dough fan, very creative!

11. anna March 30, 2009 at 8:07 am #

Wow, those look great! I think I now have an obligation to make those for a certain cookie dough-loving boyfriend of mine.

12. vincent March 30, 2009 at 9:15 am #

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

13. Hayley March 30, 2009 at 11:10 am #

These look awesome! Cookie dough is the best.

14. ley March 31, 2009 at 6:35 pm #

THAT looks really fun. And really…thick.

I love it. You’re my hero for coming up with the cookie dough frosting.

15. Hillary April 1, 2009 at 6:21 am #

Oh man, this recipe is a keeper!

16. Persnickety Knits April 2, 2009 at 4:42 am #

I loved your recipe. I used regular flour (I looked up what to use if you don’t have self-rising and added the extra baking powder and salt). I did get 12 cupcakes. I have never had cupcakes disappear so quickly in my house. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.

17. green is the new black June 5, 2009 at 12:39 pm #

this is delightful, will have to try it! :D

18. Maggie July 3, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

Okay, so, I know this post is old, but I was saving this recipe for my husband’s birthday because he looooves cookie dough. I made them today, and they are splendid. The cupcakes themselves are AMAZING! I splurged and bought really good butter from Whole Foods, and I think it was worth it because pretty much all the flavor comes from that glorious brown butter. Also, I used cake flour and added the extra baking powder and salt and I ended up with nine cupcakes. The cake flour, I think, was worth it. They were so tender. These cupcakes were pretty work-intensive, but they are so delicious and they get a huge stamp of approval from the cookie dough loving hubby!

19. Kim December 27, 2010 at 7:14 pm #

Wow! These look amazing!

20. cailen ascher March 25, 2011 at 8:22 am #

these are genius!!!

21. Kat May 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

I didn’t read through all of the comments to see if someone else tried this already, but I made some eggless snickerdoodle dough (your snickerdoodle recipe with ~3 T milk instead of the egg :) ), and even though I didn’t actually make snickerdoodle cupcakes, I did take a bit of the plain brown butter cupcake with a bit of the snickerdoodle dough and WOW! Those two flavors compliment each other SO WELL! I think I’m going to try it in the whole cupcake form later this week!

I made the mistake of using Ghiradelli double chocolate chips, and the strong chocolate flavor really overwhelmed the mild brown butter cake flavor… still yummy, but not quite what I was expecting… THANKS FOR SHARING!

22. Mary June 15, 2011 at 8:51 am #

A substitute for self-rising flour is
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt

and all ya gotta do is mix them together.

23. Barn Owl Primitives July 28, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

i’m in love!! i cannot wait to make these!!

thanks so much for sharing your love of cupcakes with the world!!

xo ~ kristi

24. Anonymous September 4, 2011 at 11:37 pm #

I dont have a food prossessor or a kitchen aid, anything else i can use?

25. ana92.8 September 14, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

gotta ask. i recently went to Arizona and found this dessert on a restaurant that was like a cookie dough cake covered with ice cream. is this alike? =)

26. Stef September 21, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Anon – You could mix my hand.

Ana – Hmm.. don’t know what that one was like. This doesn’t have any ice cream. I bet that was quite good though!

27. sam October 28, 2011 at 4:16 am #

I’m a vegetarian and i don’t eat egg, so what would you recommend i replace the egg with? Thanx!

28. Katy October 31, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

Quick question, is cream necessary to make the cookie dough into frosting, or can milk be used?

29. Stef November 2, 2011 at 10:29 am #

Sam – I would just recommend that you use a different, vegan recipe.

Katy – Milk should work just fine.

30. Anonymous March 6, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

What does T stand for?

• Stef March 7, 2012 at 5:14 am #

Tablespoon

31. jazmine July 20, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

looks yummy!

32. AnickH July 21, 2012 at 2:32 am #

u said your cupcakes turned out dense?? did they taste good?

• Stef July 21, 2012 at 6:33 am #

They did, but I’d still recommend my other brown butter cupcake over this one.

33. Nancy September 24, 2012 at 7:45 am #

Love it but can’t eat raw cookie dough. :(

Nancy, Denver Roofing Contractors

34. Carly Tims December 14, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

Recently tried these out for myself! They were a massive hit! Thanks.
    Please check it out on the blog link below…

35. Nikki Lynn January 13, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Do you add chocolate chips to the brown butter cupcake recipe? I see in the picture that there are chocolate chips in the cupcake prior to adding the dough inside or the frosting. If so, how much do you add?

• Stef January 13, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Good question. Yes, add the chips. You can add as many as you’d like – somewhere between a 1/2 cup and a cup is usually good.

36. Sport October 28, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

Hiya, just notice the weblog through The search engines, determined it’s mostly definitely useful. I am about to look out for the city. We will be happy for those who move forward that in future. Lots of people will likely be helped from the composing. All the best!

37. Maria B. February 23, 2014 at 7:21 pm #

Thanks so much for the inspiration! I made these tonight and they’re gone now. Well, I at least tried to preserve some. I put the safe-to-eat cookie dough in the center and, poof, consumed! This recipe is amazing and I’m so glad I found it here. Cupcake Project rocks!
    I also wrote a little about my trial with these here:

1. 4 Cupcakes in 4 Days – Part 3 – Brownie Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frosting | Mermaid Dance - May 12, 2013

[...] the things I had available in my house, I actually used this recipe for the brownie cupcakes, and these directions for the cookie dough frosting. I made some minor adjustments, so below are my modified [...]

2. Happiness Doesn't Just Happen | Summer bucket list - June 15, 2013

[...] Bake cupcakes for work – preferably these (http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/03/cookie-dough-cupcakes-topped-with-cookie-dough-frosting.html) or these [...]