Cupcake Fondue – Get Hot and Steamy for Valentine’s Day | Cupcake Project

Cupcake Fondue – Get Hot and Steamy for Valentine’s Day

For something hot this Valentine’s Day, dip your cupcakes in fondue. Not only do you get to play with wet, drippy chocolate, but you get the opportunity to frost each others’ cupcakes.

Cupcake Fondue Tips

• Choose a cupcake that is either spongy or dense. If you pick one with too much of a crumb, it may fall apart when you stab it with the fondue fork. I used pound cake cupcakes, which worked perfectly.

• Most fondue pots can’t handle more than one full-sized cupcake being dipped at once. It works best to make mini cupcakes.
  • Any cupcake recipe can be made into a mini cupcake simply by reducing the baking time and using mini baking cups. Start by cutting the baking time in half. If the cupcakes are not completely done in that time, check on them every few minutes until they are fully baked.

• Fondue cupcakes are best hot and fresh. If you have extra cupcakes and fondue, you can dunk all the cupcakes and refrigerate them until you are ready to eat them, but they won’t be nearly as good.

Fondue Recipes

You can use any chocolate fondue recipe you like for your fondue cupcakes. If you don’t have one, check out some of these fantastic fondue options from other food blogs.

Other Valentine’s Day Cupcake Ideas

4 Responses to Cupcake Fondue – Get Hot and Steamy for Valentine’s Day

1. yoko February 13, 2009 at 8:04 am #

I love this idea.

Heh heh– “frost each other’s cupcakes” sounds a little dirty. :)

2. Pinky February 13, 2009 at 1:20 pm #

What a cute fondue pot, and a cute all around idea

3. Mary February 13, 2009 at 1:28 pm #

Wow, these cupcakes all look amazing! In case you didn’t see it already, I thought that you all might like the live cupcake art webcast from the Smithsonian that is happening now. Here is a link from my site – http://www.lyvegyde.com/events/1385. It is happening today until 5:00 pm ET and it will be on tomorrow from 12-6:30 pm ET. An artist is making presidential portraits out of cupcakes, and it is a lot of fun to watch!
    Thanks,
    Mary

4. Kim February 13, 2009 at 1:45 pm #

@yoko – I thought the same thing!

Anything involving chocolate can’t be all bad.

5. Kimberly February 13, 2009 at 1:58 pm #

That is so flippin’ cute…love those pictures!

6. Elyse February 13, 2009 at 7:38 pm #

What a great idea! And I love your description–steamy! I can’t imagine anything better than poundcake dipped in chocolate.

7. Little Miss Cupcake February 14, 2009 at 1:54 am #

Adorable! A sweet way to celebrate Valentine’s! Love your fondue pot!

8. diva February 14, 2009 at 9:54 am #

i want you fondue pot!! it’s très adorable!! i want it so bad :) your cupcake fondue idea is genius…i shall keep this in mind for future use.

Happy Valentine’s Day! x

9. limeandlemon February 14, 2009 at 11:39 am #

Love this idea … sounds very interesting … and who wouldnt love to have chocolate frosted cake… :) .. Laila .. http://limeandlemon.wordpress.com

10. Cakespy February 14, 2009 at 12:15 pm #

Oh SHUT UP, that is just too cute!! I love it!!!

11. chuck February 14, 2009 at 12:15 pm #

How much fun is that. I love the idea of using little cupcakes. Wonderful!

12. finsmom February 14, 2009 at 6:07 pm #

I really love the idea of the little cupcakes for the fondue! So adorable!

13. ~~louise~~ February 15, 2009 at 10:58 am #

GREAT idea. I have a sneaky notion Fondue Pots are crawling out of the cupboards these days.

Thanks for sharing…

14. CB February 15, 2009 at 12:23 pm #

I know I already left you a twitter about this but OMGOSH so freaking cute. I love fondue. And now for cupcakes? I need a fondue pot stat!
    /Clara

15. Jennifer of Dog.Yarn.Knit. February 15, 2009 at 5:40 pm #

What an amazingly fantastic idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. foodiechickie February 19, 2009 at 12:54 pm #

I have the exact same fondue pot. Why didn’t I think of cupcakes before!

Glad I found your blog.

Congrats on the pregnancy!

17. Jen February 25, 2009 at 9:55 pm #

I love this idea!
    fondue + cupcake = delicious fun

18. Anonymous March 26, 2009 at 7:12 am #

hey where do you get that cute fondue pot from? haha

19. Stef March 27, 2009 at 7:28 am #

You can get the fondue pot here.

20. Claire December 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm #

I love this idea! so so so cute :)

21. PopArtDiva January 30, 2010 at 10:03 am #

This is the cutest idea I’ve come across in a long time! And I just happen to have a stack of truffle cups that would be a perfect mini cupcake size!
    Yeah, they’re Christmas ones but I’ll take the papers off before plating them, ha!

22. ~~louise~~ February 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Hi Stef!

I’m “borrowing” this link for a post I’m doing for National Chocolate Fondue Day tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing…

23. supplies July 7, 2014 at 12:33 pm #

You completed a number of nice points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all people will have the same opinion with your blog.

1. Cupcake Fondue | The art of cupcake - May 15, 2013

[...] Cupcake fondue is a sweet experience. For a bridal shower, an adult birthday party, or any other adult function these are a perfect celebration of chocolate and cake. Dense cake, such as pound cake, is the type for this treat so that you don’t lose your cake in the fondue pot. Additionally, mini cupcakes are better suited for the fondue pots than a full sized cupcake, unless you are the only partaker, then full size would work fine. Source Cupcake Project [...]

2. Cold Oven Pound Cake – Do Not Preheat! | Cupcake Project - March 2, 2014

[...] I have made pound cake cupcakes (although it’s a first for the cold oven variety). I made mini pound cake cupcakes to dip in chocolate fondue for Valentine’s Day. You might consider trying that same technique with this recipe for the [...]