Sesame Honey Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Sesame Honey Cupcakes

I wanted my sesame honey cupcakes to taste like sesame honey crunch candies. I know I was an unusual child, but sesame honey crunch candies were some of my favorite candies (I have always had a love for anything with honey). Perhaps, I wasn’t as strange a child as my husband, though, who for some inexplicable reason called sesame honey crunch candies “chicken bones.” Did anyone else do this?

Did the Sesame Honey Cupcakes Taste Like Sesame Honey Crunch Candy?

Yes, the sesame honey cupcakes tasted just like sesame honey crunch candies! Those (like me and Jonathan) who love sesame honey crunch candy loved these sesame honey cupcakes. Those who do not like the flavor of sesame and honey, like my mother in law, did not like these. Lastly, those who had never had anything with sesame and honey, like my friend who was in from Seattle, simply didn’t know what to make of them.

You should know that like the candies, the cupcakes are not overly sweet and strike me as kind of mellow and cozy – a cupcake that you would have with some steamed milk rather than an espresso.

Groom 2.5 suggested that the cupcakes might go well with some kind of fruit filling. I agree, but I think that would in some way detract from their simple nature.

The Sesame Honey Cupcake Recipe

I got the recipe for the sesame honey cupcake from Curiously Ravenous. Her recipe was absolutely perfect for what I was looking for! I am reprinting it below with my notes.

Sesame Honey Cupcakes

Yield: 12-15 cupcakes

Sesame Honey Cupcakes

Cupcake Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
  • 3 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/3 C unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1/2 C honey
  • 1 egg
  • 2 T tahini (you can use my homemade tahini recipe or use store-bought)
  • 1 C buttermilk
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 3 T white sesame seeds
  • Sesame Honey Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 C butter, room temperature
  • 2 T tahini
  • 1/2 C honey

Cupcake Instructions
  1. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
  2. In another bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and honey until pale and glossy, about 3 minutes.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk and vanilla.
  4. With the mixer running, add the egg to the butter-sugar mixture, until well-blended.
  5. Continue beating in the tahini.
  6. In 3 additions, alternately blend in the flour and buttermilk, ending with flour.
  7. Mix in the sesame seeds.
  8. Fill cupcake liners almost to the top. These cupcakes do not rise very much.
  9. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the top of the cakes are lightly golden.
  10. Sesame Honey Cream Cheese Frosting Instructions
  11. Whip cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
  12. Slowly mix in tahini and honey.
  13. Spread on the cupcakes. You don't need to make them look pretty because they are going to get covered in sesame seeds.
  14. Dunk and Drizzle
  15. Once the cupcakes have been frosted, simply dunk them in a plate of toasted sesame seeds. If you need a tutorial on toasting sesame seeds, see my notes in the tahini post. I used all white sesame seeds, however, I think it would look really neat to use a combination of white and black sesame seeds.
  16. Once the sesame seeds are in place, drizzle some honey over the top of the cupcakes.

The Sesame Honey Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

Curiously Ravenous used a sesame honey buttercream frosting on her cupcakes. Since I’m not a buttercream fan, I opted for a Cupcake Project original cream cheese version. You might notice the absence of sugar in my recipe. Whenever I’ve added powdered sugar to a frosting recipe with honey it, the level of sweetness disgusts me!

The Dunk and Drizzle

The photo above is really just another opportunity to show off Jonathan’s new macro lens!

Related Recipes

If you would prefer to make the actual sesame honey crunch candy instead of a cupcake recipe inspired by it, you might want to check out Alanna’s recent sesame candy recipe. I haven’t personally tried it yet, but it sounds fantastic.

If you would prefer a cupcake recipe based on another favorite candy, you might want to check out my Ferrero Rocher cupcakes.

4 Responses to Sesame Honey Cupcakes

1. Happy cook January 8, 2009 at 11:27 am #

Wow they look beautiful. By the time i ended reading the post, i was drooling all over by the thought of buting it that frosting .

2. Alanna January 8, 2009 at 11:33 am #

Your blog needs a new name: The Creative You-Won’t-Believe-It-Makes-a-Cupcake blog. As ever, Ms Stef, so creative and “so obvious” both. Lovely!

3. Rachel Cotterill January 8, 2009 at 3:33 pm #

Happy new year – and congratulations, I’ve picked you as one of five bloggers to whom I can pass on the A Hoy award. See either of those links for the rules if you would like to pass this along.

And yes, I absolutely adored sticky sesame snacks throughout my childhood, too :)

4. Sydney January 9, 2009 at 8:42 am #

Holy moly I love those candies!!! I bet that cupcake was amazing.

5. Dolce Deb's Designs January 9, 2009 at 8:57 am #

Oh my not only do these look elegant they sound so yummy. I love honey and seasame seeds (and the candy) so I will have to give this a try. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and TFS.

Debbie/Phx AZ

6. Stef January 9, 2009 at 9:23 am #

Happy – Thanks so much!

Alanna – What a sweet comment! Thanks for making me smile!

Rachel and Sydney – Glad I’m not alone in loving the candies!

Debbie – Hope you have a nice weekend as well! Thanks for stopping by!

7. cheryl January 9, 2009 at 9:38 am #

I love Sesame honey candies. Save me one!

8. Hayley January 9, 2009 at 11:58 am #

I’ve never heard of sesame honey candies, but these cupcakes sound amazing!

9. naomi January 9, 2009 at 6:21 pm #

Those candies are the only good thing of Pesach.

10. Maggie January 9, 2009 at 8:29 pm #

I loved sesame candy as a kid too. I have to try these soon.

11. Peter January 9, 2009 at 11:42 pm #

Hi! If you google the words chicken bone candy, you’ll discover an old fashioned candy that retailed as “Chicken Bones”. Perhaps he knows of these.

12. SugarPunk January 10, 2009 at 1:58 pm #

Ooooh, these look awesome! Too bad the husband can’t eat sesame.

I made the Ferrero Rocher cupcakes the other day for a birthday party, and they were a big hit! Thanks for posting the recipe.

13. Sarah January 10, 2009 at 2:11 pm #

I loved those crunch sesame-honey wafer sticky things (yup, it’s a technical term) when I was growing up. Haven’t had them in ages though!

14. Cancemini4 January 12, 2009 at 7:39 am #

These are so unique, what a great recipe! I bet the honey sesame frosting would also be delicious on lots of different types of cakes, I’ll definitely be trying it out.

15. Anonymous January 27, 2009 at 2:33 am #

How large a tin would I need to make this into a cake, do you think? TIA!

16. Stef January 27, 2009 at 7:39 am #

Anon – I think it should make an 8 or 9 inch square or round cake. You may also need to bake it a bit longer.

17. Wendylee May 22, 2009 at 7:43 pm #

Oh i have to try these, I love cupcakes and I love sesame seeds!

18. Anonymous May 27, 2009 at 12:48 pm #

wow, these sound positively delicious.

19. Christina June 11, 2009 at 1:26 pm #

I :heart: sesame crunch candies! These cupcakes make me smiles =)

20. Alaina September 26, 2009 at 2:28 pm #

I’ve been eyeing this recipe for months now… and I’m finally making them!

Thanks for the recipe.

21. boncha November 17, 2011 at 10:53 pm #

Just made these cupcakes! Flavor is amazing! I made mini cupcakes which came out perfectly but the reg size cupcakes…didn’t bake correctly for some reason. done on top but not on the bottom. I probably just didn’t keep them in long enough.

There is a typo in the recipe. Salt is called for twice and I don’t think it should be added to the cream mixture?

Also, the frosting recipe calls for WAY too much honey. Start with 1/8 cup honey and if more is needed gradually in another 1/8 cup… I added a 1/2 cup and my frosting was a liquid mess!

Again, awesome flavor!!

22. namenik July 12, 2012 at 6:03 am #

Chicken bones are actually the butterscotch/peanut butter candy sticks rolled in toasted coconut, not sesame honey candies.

23. Anonymous September 16, 2012 at 10:20 pm #

Yes, but what temperature do you bake the cupcakes at? Not mentioned in the recipe!

• Stef September 17, 2012 at 4:46 am #