Apple Butter Frosting Recipe | Cupcake Project

Apple Butter Frosting Recipe

While you may be tempted to skip this apple butter frosting recipe and just slather plain apple butter on your cupcakes (and I couldn’t blame you), I highly recommend giving the apple butter frosting a try. It’s got brown sugar, apple butter, and cinnamon and is perfect for any Fall cupcake or for eating with a spoon! It’s sweet, but not too sweet, and if you love apple butter (like me), you may have found your new favorite frosting.

I put the frosting on pumpkin cupcakes with rum and maple.

Apple Butter Frosting Recipe

This is one of those recipes that came out of my head and worked perfectly the very first time I tried it. It’s a good day when that happens!

Apple Butter Frosting Recipe

Apple Butter Frosting Recipe

• 1/4 C apple butter
  • 1/4 C butter
  • 3/4 C brown sugar
  • 2 T milk
  • 2 t cinnamon
  • 1 C sifted powdered sugar

1. In a saucepan, melt the butter.
  2. Add the apple butter and brown sugar.
  3. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to medium low.
  4. Continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  5. Add the milk and the cinnamon and bring to a boil, still stirring constantly.
  6. Cool to lukewarm.
  7. Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until thick enough to spread.

Apple Butter Recipe

I went the lazy route and bought my apple butter at the store. However, if you would like to make your own apple butter, check out these sites for apple butter recipes:

19 Responses to Apple Butter Frosting Recipe

1. How To Eat A Cupcake November 3, 2008 at 3:16 pm #

OMG OMG! I <3333 apple butter, but recently I've been having an affair with pumpkin butter!

Thanks for this recipe!

PS: I gave you an award on my blog :D

2. Lisa November 3, 2008 at 9:51 pm #

What a great idea. I just made apple butter this weekend but I don’t even remember ever eating it before so I am on the lookout for recipes. I think I will give this a try.

3. Angela November 4, 2008 at 2:52 am #

While slathering my toast with apple butter this morning, I wondered what it would be like beaten into buttercream. And an hour later you’ve given me the answer!

It looks absolutely divine :)

4. Jennywenny November 4, 2008 at 8:33 am #

Wow, you are awesome, I was just about to start searching for an apple butter frosting recipe and here it pops up. Thanks so much!

I made apple butter at home, but it looks a lot more runny than the proper stuff so we’ll see how it goes.

5. TNC November 4, 2008 at 8:42 am #

This sounds soo delicious. I can’t wait for cupcakes to go with it!

6. Ingrid November 4, 2008 at 10:43 am #

Oh, that sounds DELISH! Thanks for the recipe! Now I just have to get the apple butter away from babygirl who has been slathering it on to anything toasted!
    ~ingrid

7. Ms Ashley November 4, 2008 at 2:33 pm #

Oh Yum… It looks great! But I don’t think I’ve ever tried Apple Butter before… This will be on my list of Thanksgiving Goodies!

8. Cakespy November 4, 2008 at 2:35 pm #

Oh no, I don’t want to skip one thing. Delicious!!! I am going to try this soon! What a great fall flavor and alternative to pumpkin (which I love but sometimes people forget there are other fall flavors!).

9. ironstef November 5, 2008 at 9:46 am #

yum. I made apple butter in the crockpot last week, and I have a ton still. Good to know it’s so useful!

10. Stef November 5, 2008 at 10:22 am #

HTEAC – Thanks again for the award! Pumpkin butter is yummy too!

Lias – Cool! Hope it works out for you.

Angela – Thanks!

Jenny – Good luck! I bet you’ll be fine.

TNC – I’ll get the cupcakes up soon!

Ingrid – I know! That’s the hard part!

Ashley – You’ve got the try apple butter. It’s so yummy!

Cakespy – There are so many fall flavors!

IronStef – I just noticed that this morning on Gut Check. A bit behind on my blog reading. I added you the the list of apple butter links.

11. Andrea November 5, 2008 at 4:30 pm #

I could eat that frosting with a spoon, seriously!

12. ~Kimberly November 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm #

Mmmmmm aaaaaaple buuuuuuter! LOVE IT! Trying this for sure!

13. Anonymous October 15, 2009 at 12:10 pm #

I made these last night – FANTASTIC! Thank you so much!

14. Stephanie November 2, 2009 at 10:09 am #

I made this frosting for some apple cider cupcakes today and it was AMAZING! The only problem was that the icing sort of overshadowed the flavor of the cupcakes, but I will definitely make it again! I think next time I will put it on a hot milk cake. Thanks for the recipe!

15. Brynn September 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

I made this today with the pumpkin cupcakes with rum and maple, and OMG! So good!!!! Thank you for the recipe!

16. Jessica September 15, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I just made this frosting today for some apple butter spice bread. It complimented the bread perfectly. And took me straight to fall, even if the weather outside isn’t ready.

• Stef September 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

Ooh.. love the idea of putting this on spice bread. Yum!

17. Robin Berryman November 1, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

I am baking a banana bundt cake today and I plan to top it off with this Applebutter Frosting.
    November perfect timing for this combination.

1. Caramel Apple Macarons with Cinnamon Apple Butter Buttercream | Kevin & Amanda's Recipes - March 29, 2014

[...] for our piece de resistance… The Caramel Apple Macaron. It all starts with this Cinnamon Apple Butter Buttercream Frosting from Cupcake [...]