Pudding Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Pudding Cupcakes

Pudding cupcake recipes are very common with cake mixes, but you don’t see many from-scratch pudding cupcakes. I’m not sure why. Pudding adds a nice flavor and moistness to any cupcake. You could make these cupcakes using any flavor of pudding. I used tapioca pudding, but I’d like to try it again some time with butterscotch pudding or chocolate pudding.

Pudding Cupcake Recipe

Pudding Cupcakes

Yield: 24 cupcakes

Pudding Cupcakes

• 1 C (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/3 C sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 3 C flour
  • 3 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 1/2 C pudding (I used tapioca pudding)

1. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
  3. Add the vanilla extract.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  5. Alternately add the flour mixture and the pudding to the butter/sugar, ending on the flour mixture.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.

This Could Be a Warning or It Could Be Exciting News

If you use tapioca pudding that has large pearl tapioca in these cupcakes, the pearls will get somewhat hard and rubbery in the cupcakes. They are still edible and not too bad if you don’t mind chewing, but not everyone liked them. The exciting news is that they look really fun inside the cupcakes and your kids just might love them!

The little green ball poking out of this cupcake is just a hint at the secret colorful balls found inside.

Hey, Where’s the Frosting?

These cupcakes got turned into Halloween cupcakes. More on that tomorrow. :)

24 Responses to Pudding Cupcakes

1. Jen October 8, 2008 at 9:22 am #

I love pudding in cupcakes!! I’ll have to keep my eye out for colored tapioca! Very cute! My girls would love these. :)

2. Louise October 8, 2008 at 12:28 pm #

I so want these cupcakes right now!!!! Excellent idea to include tapioca. I have to include your blog in my blogroll. I don’t want to miss one more post…

3. mysweetestday October 18, 2008 at 4:54 am #

i think i like them with just the powdered sugar. youre absolutely right though…ive seen a ton of pudding cake stuff from mixes but never from scratch! i love this idea! the pudding tends to make everything meltier, fudgier, and more mmmm…

4. Stef October 19, 2008 at 4:29 pm #

Jen – Thanks! Just remember that the tapioca does get hard pretty quickly.

Louise – Aww! Thanks so much! That’s so sweet of you!

MySweet – I think many cupcakes would be good with just powdered sugar. The frosting make them extra pretty though.

5. Anonymous November 23, 2008 at 12:00 pm #

Can anyone tell me how to keep the CC from falling in the middle once you add pudding to the mix? I love the flavor and texture but they look funny

• JE May 7, 2013 at 8:38 am #

Play around with the amount of pudding. I made pudding cc last night and had the same issue. This was the most reasonable answer i found. Try using only a little over half a pack if you use a pre-packaged box of pudding.

6. Stef November 24, 2008 at 8:09 am #

Anon – Sometimes cupcakes fall because they are filled too high. See if the same thing happens if you don’t fill the liners as much.

7. JimBob February 14, 2009 at 4:08 pm #

lol wow i was just thinking about this the other night too. well thanks for one of the recipes i had in mind so itll make the job easier but im wondering if u ever tried to make a tapioca filling for these or not yet cause that was my second plan XD

8. Stef February 14, 2009 at 4:12 pm #

JimBob – Nope. I haven’t tried that. Good idea.

9. Jenny February 22, 2009 at 4:49 pm #

I’m just curious if the pudding that is added is prepared pudding, or just the powder?

Maybe a dumb question but I am new to baking.

Thanks! I can’t wait to try these out.

10. Stef February 22, 2009 at 6:31 pm #

Jenny – It’s the prepared pudding.

11. teresa May 3, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

do you mix up the pudding mix and put it in the batter or put it in dry. I had seen a recipe to make moist cupcakes with pudding mix, but had not found that original post.

12. Stef May 3, 2011 at 6:14 pm #

Teresa – I made these with mixed up pudding (not dry).

13. Dorothy February 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

I baked these last night for my fiance’s birthday, which is today. I was envisioning yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting. I divided all ingredients in half, and I added prepared vanilla pudding as instructed. I let the pudding sit in the fridge while I followed the preceding steps. The pudding mix called for three cups of milk, but I only had two, though I still used all of the pudding mix. My sweetie was surprised, and the cupcakes are delicious.

14. Anonymous February 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

I’m going to make these for my home cooking project we have to do for our cooking class. They’re sure to be delicious, but I was wondering if perhaps you could make frosting out of pudding? Because I had leftover homemade pudding, and it would be a waste to just eat it plain (I’ve always liked to mix foods together) so perhaps you could experiment and make a pudding frosting?

15. cupcakeluvr97 November 25, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

i followed the recipe exactly and the cupcakes never got done. i even put them in for longer multiple times.

16. Anonymous January 16, 2013 at 6:49 am #

i loooooooovvveeeeeee cupcakes!

17. Anonymous January 16, 2013 at 6:50 am #

yummy!!!!!

18. ugh June 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Table spoons or Teaspoon?

19. PreSri August 23, 2013 at 1:54 am #

Great recipe! I used vanilla pudding in the batter and also stuffed half of them with remaining pudding. I halved the recipe. They were light and airy. Topped them with cream cheese frosting. My husband loved them! Thanks so much!

1. 101 Awesome Cupcake Recipes - A Helicopter Mom - April 27, 2013

[...] 75. Lemon Angelfood Cakes 76. Chocolate and Strawberry 77. Cookies and Cream Cupcakes 78. Pudding Cupcakes 79. Shortbread Cakes 80. White Chocolate with Buttercream 81. Caramel Strawberry 82. Coconut [...]

2. Tapioca Pudding Recipe for Kids | Cupcake Project - May 16, 2013

[...] I used this tapioca pudding to make pudding cupcakes! [...]

3. 101 Cupcakes – Amazing Recipes | Recipes and Cooking Tips - November 22, 2013

[...] 75. Lemon Angelfood Cakes 76. Chocolate and Strawberry 77. Cookies and Cream Cupcakes 78. Pudding Cupcakes 79. Shortbread Cakes 80. White Chocolate with Buttercream 81. Caramel Strawberry 82. Coconut [...]

4. 101 Cupcake Recipes Cupcakepedia - January 23, 2014