Halloween Cupcakes with Edible Googly Eyes | Cupcake Project

Halloween Cupcakes with Edible Googly Eyes

halloween cupcakesThese Halloween cupcakes are not only fun cupcakes for kids to eat on Halloween, they are also fun cupcakes for kids to make.

The key to the Halloween cupcakes is the edible googley eyes. I saw these edible googly eyes almost a year ago on Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories and I’ve been wanting to make them ever since. They are so perfect for Halloween cupcakes!

There are so many creative and scary Halloween cupcake options to make with googley eyes. If you make Halloween cupcakes with googley eyes, send me a photo and/or a link to your blog post by Oct. 30th and I’ll do a little roundup on Halloween.

What You’ll Need for Halloween Cupcakes:

• Cupcakes to decorate
  • Powdered Sugar (optional)
  • Frosting of your choice in a piping bag or ziplock bag with the corner cut off (you could also use store-bought frosting in a tube).
  • Empty gelatin capsules. You would think that a drug store would be the place to find this item – but, no, they can be found at health food and natural food stores. You can also buy gel caps online.
  • Sprinkles
  • Gummy candy or tapioca pearls

How to Make Halloween Cupcakes

1. If you want the Halloween cupcakes to have a powdered sugar background, start by dusting the whole cupcake with powdered sugar.
  2. Next, draw eyes and a mouth with your frosting. You need to frost first or the googly eyes won’t stick.
  1. Open the gel caps and cut them down so that both halves are even or somewhat even (you know I’m not a perfectionist). Some of them cracked in the cutting process. I didn’t worry much about that – no one could tell.
  2. Fill the gel caps with a single sprinkle or use your imagination to come up with something else that looks like an eyeball. Round sprinkles might have been better than the ones I used, but I didn’t have any on hand.
  1. To complete your googly eye, stick the gel cap with sprinkles inside onto something colorful and gummy. The green behind the eyes in this picture is a colored tapioca pearl cut in half. Since this isn’t a common household item, you could do the exact same thing with any kind of gummy candy.
  2. Stick your googly eyes onto the frosting.

More Halloween Cupcakes

Check out these witchy Halloween cupcakes!

19 Responses to Halloween Cupcakes with Edible Googly Eyes

1. Leann October 9, 2008 at 5:01 am #

These are so funny! What a fun project with kids. I might make them and pretend I have kids that helped me. :-)

2. Anonymous October 9, 2008 at 8:37 am #

Ewww…

3. Kim October 9, 2008 at 9:30 am #

EEEKKK! TOO SCARY! Kidding, these are adorable! Another project for me and Maddy!

4. Allison Day October 9, 2008 at 2:43 pm #

This is the most awesome idea ever! I never would have thought to use gel caps for googly eyes! :D

5. Elims23 October 9, 2008 at 5:19 pm #

Love them!!! Thanks for the ideas!!
    =)

6. Lisa October 9, 2008 at 8:52 pm #

Super cute cupcakes and the googly eyes are a great idea! I want to use those on my bat cake…

7. Shari@Whisk: a food blog October 10, 2008 at 6:30 am #

That’s very cool!

8. Sandy Smith October 10, 2008 at 7:37 am #

This is a terrific idea . . . thanks for sharing!

9. Ivy October 10, 2008 at 12:38 pm #

Your cupcakes are to DIE FOR.:0
    So cute though, really. :)

10. Maggie October 11, 2008 at 8:14 am #

My son will LOVE these!

11. ~~louise~~ October 12, 2008 at 3:51 am #

Oh so Halloween! What a great idea. “Kids” of all ages will LOVE these! Another keeper…

12. CB October 22, 2008 at 5:24 am #

EEEK! Scary! Thanks for entering the Booo-tiful Halloween Cupcake Contest :)
    Clara @ iheartcuppycakes!

13. How To Eat A Cupcake October 22, 2008 at 10:24 am #

How cool!!! Thanks for entering!

14. Katrina October 23, 2008 at 7:16 am #

How fun! Kids would love making and eating these!

15. Anonymous October 30, 2008 at 5:40 pm #

These look kinda creepy however, I can’t see myself sharing them with the neighborhood kids or sending them to school for fear I would have teachers and parents and police at my door wondering what white powdered drug I sprinkled out of the remnant capsules sticking out of the cupcake.

16. Muscle ZX90 Supplements December 7, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Hello There. I discovered your weblog using msn. That is
    an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark
    it and come back to learn extra of your helpful info. Thank you for the post.
    I’ll definitely return.

1. Easy Halloween Cake | Cupcake Project - May 16, 2013

[...] I made my Halloween cupcakes with edible googly eyes, I promised that anyone who sent me a cupcake they made with edible googly [...]

2. Halloween Cupcake Idea | Cupcake Project - June 7, 2013

[...] on to learn about how to make witch Halloween cupcakes or learn how to make Halloween cupcakes with edible googly [...]

3. Halloween Cupcakes – Ghosts Made Without Fondant | Cupcake Project - October 29, 2013

[...] cupcakes in previous years have included witch Halloween cupcakes and scary Halloween cupcakes with googly eyes.  I’ve even made Halloween cupcakes with garlic to scare off vampires!  This year, I opted [...]