Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcakes

This is my second time making cupcakes with tomatoes. Remember these tomato cupcakes from last year?

Last year’s cupcakes were really tasty, but they took an entire day to bake.

This year’s baked bean and tomato cupcakes were easy, just as good, and won first prize at Tomato Fest!

Why Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcakes?

I wouldn’t have even entered Tomato Fest this year were it not for the Legume Love Affair. The Legume Love Affair is a blog event hosted by the Well-Seasoned Cook where you have to cook with legumes (duh!). I decided to bake bean cupcakes for the event.

What to put in the bean cupcake? Tomatoes, of course! Then, I remembered that Tomato Fest was coming up, and the rest is history.

What Does a Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcake Taste Like?

For the ultimate test of the baked bean and tomato cupcake, I gave one to my friend who just got (and proudly wears) this shirt from Groom 2.5:

If you are a proud nerd Scrabble fanatic, you can buy this shirt from Busted Tees.

The shirt is almost as nerdy as trying to make cupcakes with tomatoes and beans. You could see why we might be friends.

The Scrabble-loving taster tried the cupcakes without knowing what they were. She thought that they tasted like a basic spice cake with some not-so-sweet strawberries. Little did she know that those were not bad strawberries, they were tomatoes! She also didn’t realize that there were beans in there.

The cupcakes were surprisingly light and super moist. It’s a nice cupcake to bake in early Autumn – try it while tomatoes are still in season, but when it starts to get just a little bit cooler.

The Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcake Recipe

I changed the recipe a ton, but I did get the original pinto bean cupcake inspiration from eHow.

Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcakes

• 1/4 C butter, room temperature
  • • 1 C sugar
  • • 1 egg
  • • 1 15oz can pinto beans, drained and mashed
  • • 1 t vanilla
  • • 1 1/4 C flour
  • • 1 t baking soda
  • • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • • 1 C diced tomatoes

1. Cream butter and sugar.
  2. 2. Add egg and mix well.
  3. 3. Mix in mashed beans and vanilla.
  4. 4. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
  5. 5. Add dry mixture to wet mixture. Do not over mix.
  6. 6. Stir in diced tomatoes.
  7. 7. Fill cupcake liners ¾ full.
  8. 8. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when pressed lightly.

Notes

The Frosting

I frosted these cupcakes with tomato cream cheese frosting!

Footnote

Jonathan says that I can’t call the cupcakes “baked bean and tomato” because I did not use a can of baked beans. However, I baked some beans so I think that it’s totally legit. What do you think?

29 Responses to Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcakes

1. CB August 22, 2008 at 5:10 pm #

Oh man. I do not like beans but your picture looks so tasty that I’d eat it. Beans and all! PS. I totally need that tshirt! Freaking hilarious!
    /Clara

2. Cynthia August 24, 2008 at 12:50 pm #

If I didn’t tell you, you probably wouldn’t guess that these cupcakes contained tomatoes and beans. – you are so right.

3. Gigi August 26, 2008 at 1:41 am #

you would never from the photo that this was bean and tomato cupcake. amazing!

4. Claire August 26, 2008 at 3:00 am #

Never in a million years would I ever have considered using beans and tomatoes to make cupcakes!

Where did you get the idea from?

5. Jen August 26, 2008 at 8:34 am #

I think Baked Bean Cupcakes is an accurate name! I’m not sure I’m brave enough to try them but they look delicious so as an unsuspecting taster, I’d dig right in!

6. Lysy August 26, 2008 at 9:50 am #

Inspired. Weird, but inspired. I would definitely give them a try – I love all the ingredients separately, so why not together?! Congrats on your win (and placation of the scary trophy man)!

7. Ivy August 26, 2008 at 1:12 pm #

Wow, how exciting! these look fall-ish. Beautiful!

8. [eatingclub] vancouver || js August 26, 2008 at 6:51 pm #

I am constantly fascinated by your cupcake creations. I would never have guessed beans were in this cupcake, but hey, knowing it for a fact wouldn’t make me less eager to try it. Great-looking cupcakes!

9. Susan August 27, 2008 at 5:10 am #

Adorable. One for each hand, please!

Thanks for joining in MLLA2!

10. Elliot August 27, 2008 at 8:30 am #

As a taster I can vouch for the tastiness of these cupcakes. The cinnamon comes through as a sort of aftertaste, which is cool.

11. ley August 27, 2008 at 11:29 am #

Huh. That’s really intriguing. I totally want to make these for my friends Saturday and see what they think! They look good!

Aaaand I think I need that shirt. I’m a huge English geek and I LOVE Scrabble. No one will ever play with me, though. :( So I have it on my phone and play before bed. lol.

12. Natalie... August 27, 2008 at 11:39 am #

Wow I’ve got to say this is one flavour cupcake that I never thought I would see!!
    Bet it was really…interesting!

13. Stef August 27, 2008 at 1:48 pm #

CB – Glad you like the cupcakes and shirt. You really can’t taste the beans.

Cynthia – Hah! You crack me up.

Gigi – Thanks!!

Claire – I just get these crazy ideas sometimes.

Jen – It’s so true. It’s definitely better if you don’t know what they are until after the fact.

Lysy – Thanks!! I love weird!

Ivy – I love when a natural ingredient makes the frosting a color. I was so excited with the color of the frosting.

Eating Club – I wish I could give you one!

Susan – Thanks for hosting!

Elliot – Thanks for being a good taster!

Ley – You need to meet my friend! Definitely let me know if you try the cupcakes.

Natalie – It actually didn’t taste all that interesting, which was the interesting part about it. You would expect it to taste weird.

14. ley August 28, 2008 at 6:41 pm #

You can just use a can of refried beans, right? Rather than draining and mushing them up yourself? Cuz I’m lazy.

Also, then you could call them, like, Refried Bean and Tomato Cupcakes, instead of Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcakes. Not that “refried bean cupcakes” sounds any better than the other. It’s still a bit sketchy. But at least they’d be truthful?

15. amritac August 28, 2008 at 7:15 pm #

Wow…that sounds awesome…and a teeny weeny bit weird. But the photographs are telling me they turned out yummy!

16. kamailesfood August 28, 2008 at 7:29 pm #

You’re right…I would never have guessed these were tomato & bean cupcakes. I would have thought chocolate with orange cream cheese frosting. I will admit that sounds better to me than tomato & bean cupcakes, but I would try them out of curiosity.

17. Hillary August 29, 2008 at 10:33 am #

Haha I want that triple nerd score shirt. Tomato and baked beans, eh? You’re right, I never would have guessed…

18. Anonymous August 29, 2008 at 5:32 pm #

I’m curious to know if you would ever attempt this recipe using any kind of bean other than the one you did use already. I’m thinking chickpeas or string beans (with or without the pod). Thoughts on how this might work out?

Stacey
    strangeaddiction.com

19. diva@thesugarbar August 30, 2008 at 7:28 am #

woa! these cupcakes are crazy! like crazy GOOD. i cant wait to try these out and have ‘em for breakfast or wait.. why not with my ultimate fry-up?! oh yea.

20. Migoto_Chou August 30, 2008 at 11:32 am #

Oh my goodness… I’ve never heard of cupcakes like that! I would try them though!

21. Mrs. U September 3, 2008 at 6:08 pm #

Hi there!
    I just found your blog and will DEFINITELY be making these (and the frosting) very soon!! These sound different and DELICIOUS! But what will Mr. U think? HAHA!

His,
    Mrs. U

22. Stef September 3, 2008 at 9:26 pm #

Ley – I suppose you could. I don’t see why not!

Amritic – Yup – they were surprisingly good!

Kamaile – I do love orange frosting!

Hillary – Thanks! Gotta love the shirt.

Stacey – I think chickpeas would work great! Not sure about the string beans.

Diva – Thanks! There are just so many options.

Migoto – I hadn’t either until I made them.

Mrs. U. – Don’t tell Mr. U what’s in them. He’s more likely to like them.

23. Brittany May 22, 2010 at 8:51 am #

I think I might make them for my son’s 1st birthday party! :)

24. Amanda July 23, 2010 at 10:41 pm #

This recipe caught my attention, because the two things I hate most are Tomatoes and Beans.
    Well, I tried out the recipe… and the cupcakes were a HIT! I topped them up with buttercream frosting as I didn’t have cream cheese or tomato paste.
    All cupcakes vanished in minutes and no one could guess what was in them! God bless your talent! :)

25. pyropaws November 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Brilliant. This is just the kind of recipe I’ve been looking for! We’re having a cupcake day at work to raise money for the cancer ward at our local hospital and we’ve decided to have a ‘Guess the flavour’ stall. I think this will be confusing enough to make it a bit more difficult for people to guess :D Thanks for a wonderful recipe.

1. Have You Had Nightmares From A Trophy? | Cupcake Project - May 17, 2013

[...] let him know that the baked bean and tomato cupcake post would be up on Cupcake Project soon. Should he try them and not like them, she would be happy to [...]

2. Cupcake Project’s Brilliant and Crazy Cupcakes | Best Friends For Frosting - August 9, 2013

[...] these sound familiar? Her unparalleled treats have won several competitions as well. In 2008, her Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcakes won first place in Iron Barley’s Tomato Fest. Also, her Avocado Lime Cupcakes won the [...]

3. 25 of the Most Outrageous Cupcake Flavors Ever | Housekeeping - October 24, 2013

[...] Baked Bean and Tomato – The mastermind behind these barbecue-themed beauties recommends them for autumn gatherings. [...]

4. Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcakes | Our Best CupcakesOur Best Cupcakes - July 15, 2014

[...] View Recipe Preparation Instructions [...]