Rhubarb Cupcakes: The Perfect Autumn Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Rhubarb Cupcakes: The Perfect Autumn Cupcakes

My rhubarb cupcakes were dubbed by my cupcake taster, Ran (who has tasted so many of my cupcakes that he may as well be Groom 2.5), as “the perfect autumn cupcake.” He went on to say how he felt weird even eating the rhubarb cupcakes in the summer.

What Did the Other Tasters Say About the Rhubarb Cupcakes?

• One taster said that the rhubarb cupcakes were so good that he was left “speechless.” However, it should be noted he is a new taster who doesn’t have much regular access to home-baked goods. As such, he wasn’t as critical as my regular tasters.
  • My mom took a couple of rhubarb cupcakes back to New York with her. Her friend, Peter, who has tasted quite a few Cupcake Project cupcakes, said that this one was right up there with the best.
  • Bride and Groom 2.0 both thought the cupcake texture was perfect. Bride 2.0 liked the flavor, but Groom 2.0 did not.
  • As for me, I enjoyed them, but I thought they were almost too simple. The flavor was not quite complex enough. The rhubarb flavor was there, but it basically blended into the overall spice cake flavor. Despite my issues with its simplicity, these rhubarb cupcakes would be perfection on a crisp autumn night sitting in front of the fire with a glass of hot cocoa.

The Rhubarb Cupcake Recipe

Because I was basing my rhubarb cupcake recipe off of a rhubarb pulled pork recipe (if you are not a regular reader, don’t be alarmed by this statement – I get my inspiration in weird ways), I wanted to incorporate some of the same flavors – agave, five spice, and ginger. I decided to use a recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (the only cupcake cookbook that I regularly refer to) as my starting point.
Here is the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World simple vanilla and agave nectar cupcake recipe modified a whole lot to make my rhubarb cupcake recipe.

Rhubarb Cupcakes: The Perfect Autumn Cupcakes

Yield: about 12 cupcakes

Rhubarb Cupcakes: The Perfect Autumn Cupcakes

• 2/3 C soy milk
  • 1/2 t apple cider vinegar
  • 2/3 C agave nectar (if you don't have agave nectar, you can use honey)
  • 1/3 C canola oil
  • 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 4 drops ginger extract from Supreme Spice (if you don't have ginger extract, you can use 1/2 t powdered ginger)
  • 2 t five spice powder
  • 1 1/3 C flour
  • 3/4 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 C [rhubarb compote|http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/07/rhubarb-compote-just-two-ingredients.html

1. Mix the soy milk and the apple cider vinegar in a large bowl and allow to sit for a few minutes to curdle.
  2. Beat in vinegar, agave, oil, vanilla, and ginger.
  3. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and five spice powder and mix just until smooth. Do not over-mix.
  4. Stir in rhubarb compote.
  5. Fill liners 2/3 full.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the tops bounce back when touched.

Notes

Frost these cupcakes with five spice frosting. For even more fun, dunk the cupcake in some extra rhubarb compote as you are eating it.

The Five Spice Frosting

7 Responses to Rhubarb Cupcakes: The Perfect Autumn Cupcakes

1. VeggieGirl July 27, 2008 at 11:03 am #

GORGEOUS cupcakes – and hooray for the vegan recipe!! :0)

2. Maggie July 27, 2008 at 2:59 pm #

I was just thinking about trying rhubarb in a cupcake/muffin. I was going to just use the compote in place of applesauce in an apple cake recipe but I think I’ll give yours a try. I’ve made the VCTOTW agave cupcakes plain and loved them.

3. [eatingclub] vancouver || js July 27, 2008 at 7:48 pm #

Ah, the five-spice frosting finds a perch! On rhubarb cupcakes, no less. Definitely inspired.

4. Ivy July 28, 2008 at 8:06 am #

COOL! Very very interestinfg picture. When I first got to your site I thought to myself, “what the hec am I looking at?.” Hahahaha. :)
    You’re the best!

5. snag July 28, 2008 at 10:22 am #

I like the idea of dipping the cupcakes in rhubarb compote as you eat it… awesome!

6. Groom 2.5 July 28, 2008 at 1:27 pm #

Groom 2.5 would like it noted that he’s single and currently on the market for a cupcake loving Bride 2.5. Love of sunsets, cinnamon, and long walks to burn off cupcake calories a must.

7. Groom 2.0 July 28, 2008 at 3:42 pm #

Clarification from Groom 2.0:
    Immeadiately after dinner, when I sampled the cupcake and gave my review, I stated that the flavor of the cupcake was not the problem. I didn’t cleanse my pallette at all and the flavors of my meal didn’t meld well to the flavor of the cupcake.

8. Minko July 28, 2008 at 7:26 pm #

Groom 2.5 – how about a bride that is a cupcake baker that is on the market for a cupcake loving groom?

9. Groom 2.5 July 28, 2008 at 8:25 pm #

Well Minko, I’ve always wanted to visit Australia…

10. Minko July 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm #

And I was only in the States 6 weeks ago Groom 2.5! We could have gotten married in Vegas while I was there

11. Cakespy July 30, 2008 at 6:58 am #

I think I could pretty easily get past eating them in the summer. It would not be too hard at all, especially when they’re as gorgeous as these babies!

12. Jeff July 30, 2008 at 11:57 am #

Hmmm…interesting and I think it is time to make trip to the garden to grab more rhubarb.

Hmm…dang did I just say I was going to attempt another cupcake???

13. Gigi July 30, 2008 at 11:13 pm #

I love the ingredients in this cupcake! I am bookmarking this for cooler days that allow for baking!

14. howtoeatacupcake August 1, 2008 at 2:10 pm #

I really love your photo!

15. Deborah August 5, 2008 at 7:09 am #

What a unique cupcake! It sounds delicious to me!

16. Lisa August 6, 2008 at 9:59 am #

What wonderfully fun cupcakes! Your methods are positively inspiring and I just love the semi-exotic, kinda retro look of the photos!

17. Stef August 6, 2008 at 11:56 am #

Veggie Girl – Thanks!!

Maggie – Let me know how it goes. :)

Eating Club – Hah! I love how you put that. It’s the perfect way to say it.

Ivy – LOL. It’s sort of a hippie picture.

Snag – I love all kinds of dips.

Groom 2.5 and Minko – I see a CP love connection brewing. How exciting!

Cakespy – :) Yeah.. it wasn’t too tough.

Jeff – Woohoo! I’ve converted you!

Gigi – Yeah, it’s been crazy hot here too.

Howtoeat – Passing that one on to Jonathan. Thanks!

Deborah – Thanks so much!

Lisa – What a sweet comment!! Thanks so much!

18. Anonymous September 30, 2008 at 7:23 pm #

I’m from Western Maryland and down here the BIG rhubarb thing is Strawberry Rhubarb pie..it’s absolutly amazing..maybe strawberry would add a little something to these cupcakes.

19. sprinkles August 23, 2010 at 11:18 pm #

Thanks for the recipe, we have linked it in our 25 Sugar Free Cupcake feature on http://www.partycupcakeideas.com

1. Rhubarb Compote: Just Two Ingredients | Cupcake Project - April 14, 2013

[...] course, I used some rhubarb compote in a rhubarb cupcake. The rest, however, was spread on slices of bread like a jam or entered directly into my mouth with [...]

2. Rhubarb Pulled Pork: Great Today, Even Better Tomorrow | Cupcake Project - April 14, 2013

[...] pulled pork is my latest cupcake inspiration. Yes, people, rhubarb cupcakes are coming soon. For now, though, it’s time to talk about the rhubarb [...]

3. Rhubarb Cupcakes: The Perfect Autumn Cupcakes « The Cupcake Blog - December 18, 2013

[...] It may sound strange to base a rhubarb cupcake recipe off of a pulled pork recipe, but rest assured that these cupcakes are quite tasty! The rhubarb is added to the batter in the form of rhubarb compote, and the flavor of them blends nicely with the ginger extract, five spice powder, soy milk, agave nectar and apple cider vinegar that are also in the batter (along with other, more traditional ingredients.) Bake, top with five spice frosting and serve for a taste of autumn! Source Cupcake Project [...]

4. Rhubarb Cupcakes: The Perfect Autumn Cupcakes — Cupcake Pictures - December 18, 2013

5. Rhubarb Cupcakes: The Perfect Autumn Cupcakes | The art of cupcake - December 19, 2013

6. Rhubarb Cupcake | Our Best CupcakesOur Best Cupcakes - July 15, 2014