Raw Food Cupcakes: Cool and Refreshing | Cupcake Project

Raw Food Cupcakes: Cool and Refreshing

The concept of a raw food cupcake seems to go against the entire grain of cupcakes. Cupcakes are a baked product – raw food cupcakes are not baked. They are basically a bunch of raw food pressed together in the shape of a cupcake.

Did the Raw Food Cupcake Taste Like a Cupcake?

Nope! The raw cupcakes tasted nothing like cupcakes. They tasted more like Passover charoset. The good news is that I love charoset. The raw cupcakes were yummy and perfect for summer. I’m sure someone could make a raw cupcake that tastes more like a cupcake, since I’ve seen some great things done with raw cocoa and dates on Gone Raw. I went for the fruity, lemon poppy seed variety, though.

The Raw Foods Potluck

I mentioned in the post on raw frosting that I made these raw cupcakes because I was attending a raw food potluck. The reason that I was there was because Jonathan had done a photoshoot on the potluck for Sauce Magazine. Sauce wrote a story on raw food and Jonathan had the cover image – his first cover!!

We enjoyed the potluck so much that we decided to go back the next month.

The image on the right shows my cupcakes sitting on his Sauce cover. The title of the article was “Totally Rawsome!” and that also describes these cupcakes!

The people at the raw food potluck loved the cupcakes. One woman even asked for the recipe. I directed her to this site. I hope she isn’t turned off by all the baked cupcakes that I have on here!

The Raw Cupcake Recipe

I got the recipe for the raw cupcakes by modifying a recipe on Raw Freedom Community for lemon poppy seed cake. The recipe with my modifications is below:

The Raw Frosting

I frosted the cupcakes with raw frosting made from coconut oil.

Raw Food Cupcakes: Cool and Refreshing

Yield: Makes 50 mini cupcakes

Raw Food Cupcakes: Cool and Refreshing

• 1 1/2 C ground/grated jicama
  • 1 apple, peeled and ground
  • 2 C walnuts, finely ground
  • 1/4 C agave nectar
  • Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
  • Lemon juice and zest of 1 medium-sized lemon
  • 1/4 C poppy seeds

1. Mix all ingredients and form in any shape you want. I made mini cupcakes. I found that it was easiest to form them in the cupcake tin even though I didn't need to put it in the oven. Putting it in the tin helped them to keep their shape.
  2. There is no step two. It's just that easy!

Notes

Frost the cupcakes with raw frosting made from coconut oil. (See the picture in this post)

8 Responses to Raw Food Cupcakes: Cool and Refreshing

1. Nupur July 10, 2008 at 2:31 am #

Very creative, Stef! I bet they tasted wonderful.

2. Ivy July 10, 2008 at 8:24 am #

You never cease to amaze me!

3. KELLY July 10, 2008 at 10:09 am #

Food & Wine mag featured an article on raw food recently, including an orange date bar that looked really good. I’ll be that could easily be adapted for a cupcake.

A lot of raw food recipes I’ve seen use a dehydrator instead of baking. I wonder if that would work with cupcakes.

Kelly
    Sounding My Barbaric Gulp!

4. cy July 10, 2008 at 10:14 am #

sounds delicious! xoxo Cy

5. Penni July 10, 2008 at 1:50 pm #

I will certainly be making these delicious little morsels soon! Thanks for sharing this recipe. Love your blog and your phootgraphy. Beautiful.

6. My Sweet & Saucy July 10, 2008 at 7:28 pm #

So interesting! Love your posts!

7. My Sweet & Saucy July 10, 2008 at 7:28 pm #

So interesting! Love your posts!

8. My Sweet & Saucy July 10, 2008 at 7:28 pm #

So interesting! Love your posts!

9. My Sweet & Saucy July 10, 2008 at 7:28 pm #

So interesting! Love your posts!

10. My Sweet & Saucy July 10, 2008 at 7:28 pm #

So interesting! Love your posts!

11. Stef July 10, 2008 at 8:33 pm #

Nupur – Thanks! Looking forward to Sunday!

Ivy – Thanks for my Ivy induced smile. :)

Kelly – I don’t see why it wouldn’t. If I had one on hand, I’d give it a go.

CY – Thanks so much for stopping by and saying so!

Penni – Thanks from me and Jonathan (the photographer).

My Sweet – Thanks! I had fun with it.

12. Camille July 11, 2008 at 7:56 am #

I didn’t even know there was such thing as a raw foods movement. I’m not very trendy, I suppose. But your cupcakes look yummy!

13. Grace July 12, 2008 at 6:21 am #

i’ve yet to try this raw revolution, but i’m definitely intrigued. heck, if i could still have cupcakes, i’d be okay.

14. Karen July 12, 2008 at 12:16 pm #

I’ve never tried charoset, but I can see how these would be unusually good.
    The poppy seeds are especially nice.

15. Stef July 12, 2008 at 2:50 pm #

Camille – You’ll probably be hearing more about it. It seems to be becoming more popular.

Grace – I think it would be sooo hard to do. It would take lots of dedication.

Karen – If you ever get a chance to try charoset, give it a go. It is seriously one of my favorite foods.

16. Lisa (Show Me Vegan) July 17, 2008 at 9:21 am #

These sound really fun to make! I recently saw a raw brownie recipe on 28 cooks that looked good too. Thanks for the recipe!

17. bitter-moss October 17, 2008 at 10:04 am #

Hi there
    These look lovely and am thinking of making them for my birthday picnic next weekend. However i don’t believe we have jicama here in Australia. I wonder if you could suggest an alternative?
    Thanks!
    –Kat

18. Stef October 19, 2008 at 4:52 pm #

Kat – I think pear would work very well.

19. Geylani February 20, 2009 at 6:02 pm #

Is this your recipe?

I made a lemon raw cake 2 years ago with these same ingredients.
    It was yummy, of course!

20. Stef February 20, 2009 at 6:05 pm #

Geylani – Nope. I mention in the post that I got the recipe from the Raw Freedom Community.

21. Elle June 12, 2009 at 7:18 pm #

Oh, they look great! will have to give them a try. :)

22. Pam June 30, 2010 at 3:50 am #

Way to go Jozzie!..Congrats! and Stef…those look fabulous!..mmmm! Enjoy!

23. Sweet Raya March 29, 2011 at 10:15 pm #

Hi there! I have a RAW dessert company in Southern California and raw cupcakes are my best sellers! http://www.sweetrayacakes.com

I often use walnuts and dates for my cupcake and cashews for my frosting. They come out super rich and delicious. I would love to send you some samples sometime!

-Raya

24. Anonymous April 1, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

FYI Agave nectar is NOT Raw. It is a proceed sweetener created from the agave plant. A Raw sweetener would be either in the rough raw honey or a stevia leaf from the actual herb is your best and only bet for true raw.

25. Cc August 9, 2013 at 9:19 am #

Is there an alternative to the seeds of a vanilla bean? I live in a small town and they do not carry things like that.

1. Raw Food Cupcakes | The art of cupcake - May 15, 2013

[...] Eating raw food may not be your thing. But wait till you try these Raw Food Cupcakes which are truly a blast. And yes, you read that right. It is, in fact, raw. No baking, no refrigerating. You just have to mix in all ingredients and then place them in tins to help them keep their shape. Top it with raw frosting too to complete the combo. Serve it chilled or at room temperature and impress your guests. Source Cupcake Project [...]

2. Raw food cupcakes recipe | Raw Food - May 17, 2013

[...] Directions: Raw food cupcakes recipe preparation instructions on Cupcake Project [...]

3. Raw Food Frosting Recipe: Use Coconut Oil and Agave | Cupcake Project - May 29, 2013

[...] made a raw food frosting to top raw food cupcakes, of course! That’s right, I made cupcakes that required no [...]

4. Top 25 Raw Vegan Dessert Recipes | Raw Vegan Power - August 14, 2013