I Ate a Packing Peanut from Wholly Wholesome Bakery | Cupcake Project

I Ate a Packing Peanut from Wholly Wholesome Bakery

I love mail. When I was kid, I bought the book Free Stuff for Kids that basically told you how to mail letters to people and get them to send you stuff. When I started this blog, I had no idea that it would lead to getting fun, free stuff in the mail! I’ve received lots of tasty items and soon I will be sharing some of those with my readers. Stay tuned for some upcoming product give-a-ways!

One thing I’ve gotten in the mail that I don’t like is peanuts. I don’t like peanuts, the nuts, and I also don’t like packing peanuts. They spill all over the place and end up filling up landfills.

My latest package (the subject of my next blog post) was from Wholly Wholesome Bakery. From shopping trips to Whole Foods, I already knew about Wholly Wholesome’s commitment to quality ingredients in their baked goods. However, I was particularly excited to see their environmental commitment displayed. Their package came with biodegradable packing peanuts.

When I realized (Jonathan told me) that the packing peanuts were made of mostly corn starch, I decided to eat one. That was maybe not the brightest idea – there was no ingredient list for the peanuts.

After the break – find out if I survived. OK – you know I survived, so just find out how it tasted.

What Did the Packing Peanut Taste Like?

The packing peanut basically tasted like an unflavored cheesy poof. In fact, if you put cheese on it and stuck it in a party bowl, I think people would eat these things up!

You’re Crazy!

I know, eating packing peanuts may not be for everyone. If you don’t want to eat your packing peanuts, you still might want to play with them. I enjoyed watching them dissolve in the sink. They just disappear instead of hanging around the universe forever like styrofoam peanuts. Also, if you dissolve them using boiling water, it smells like you are cooking corn! Let’s hope everyone starts using them!

Goodbye, peanuts! Have a nice journey!

25 Responses to I Ate a Packing Peanut from Wholly Wholesome Bakery

1. justJENN May 27, 2008 at 4:00 pm #

I hope Jonathan wasn’t just screwing with you, ha! I’ve also seen things packed in popcorn…

2. jennifer hwang May 27, 2008 at 6:43 pm #

when i was younger i had a nanny who insisted you could eat packing peanuts. i thought she was just joking with us, but when both she and her husband ate one i decided to try. never again!

3. Kelly May 28, 2008 at 8:50 am #

At my old job we sold something similar only shaped more like a cheese poof and rainbow coloured. They were sold as a children’s building toy as you could just slightly moisten them and stick them together.

4. ironstef May 28, 2008 at 9:29 am #

have you used the plates made from potato starch? They are an alternative to paper/styrofoam plates. My friend ate one. He ate the whole plate! I don’t think it tasted like much…

5. Sylvia May 28, 2008 at 11:23 am #

I’ve eaten both the biodegradable packing peanuts and the potato starch and limestone bowls and lived to tell about it.

I think the packing peanuts taste better than the bowls.

6. Stef May 28, 2008 at 11:26 am #

JustJenn – Haha. That would be mean!

Jennifer – I can’t believe she actually ate one.

Kelly – Weird. Did you moisten them with your tongue?

IronStef – I have seen those. I like them but they dissolve too quickly, like while you are eating. An entire plate, huh. Impressive.

Sylvia – Wow! Is this a regular thing?

7. Kate May 28, 2008 at 6:50 pm #

I work at a cheese shop. The last time we received a delivery, I was working by myself, so as I was unloading, I noticed that the packing peanuts dissolved next to the ice packs. I figured what the heck, so I ate one. Then I ate another. They’re actually kind of good, just, as you said, unflavored.

I don’t plan to eat more, but it was interesting, and good to know that I’m not the only one!

8. Stef May 29, 2008 at 4:56 am #

Kate – I can’t believe that so many people have tried them. It cracks me up. I’m also glad to discover that I am not alone.

9. Sylvia May 29, 2008 at 7:48 am #

I’d much rather eat a dish than wash a dish. Which reminds me, I was talking to a park ranger about outdoor cooking once and he mentioned a great way to make a cupcake-like thing at a campsite — bake a spice cake mix in a hollowed out orange over coals or fire (I can’t remember which). Do you have any plans to go camping this summer?

10. Stef May 29, 2008 at 7:51 am #

Oooh – I totally want to try that!! What a neat idea! I wouldn’t use a mix, but I like the concept.

11. rainbowbrown May 29, 2008 at 8:17 am #

I had that book when I was a kid too. I have to buy things to get fun mail nowadays…poo.

12. Laura May 31, 2008 at 2:09 pm #

I think that packing peanuts taste similarly to those white starchy rice noodle-looking things that Asian restaurants sometimes serve underneath dishes. Anyone else know what I’m talking about or what they’re called? I know that PF Chang’s serves them underneath their salt and pepper calamari.

13. Gil June 1, 2008 at 3:16 am #

So is it a legume after all?

Anyway, in high school, a friend of mine named Frank had a really tiny MG sportscar… and one evening walking out of the school after debate practice, we approached his car and something looked weird. It looked like the light was left on inside or something, but not quite… Some of his friends had gone into his car and filled the entire car from floor to ceiling, packed with packing peanuts. The whole car. It was weird, because there were no packing peanuts on the ground of the parking lot, and I don’t know how they got them in and then shut the doors or something…
    Oh well, one of life’s mysteries.
    (But no, I’ve never eaten the packing peanuts!)

14. Sherica June 15, 2008 at 2:31 pm #

It might of been Puffy Stuff (http://puffystufftn.com). They’re made from grain milo, and are safe to eat. I’ve eaten them, and they taste like a rice cake! Watch out for the corn starch brands though, they contain petrochemicals and aren’t safe to eat.

15. Katie July 1, 2008 at 8:35 am #

When I taught arts and crafts, we would use these peanuts to make sculptures. You lick (or dip) one side and stick them together to make things. So cute.

16. Layla October 28, 2008 at 11:29 pm #

Hello!
    I got packing peanuts today & I was squishing them, as I always do, & I noticed that they smelled like cheese puffs!? So I googled “packing peanuts smell like food” and found your blog post!! Thanks for unraveling my mystery (& confirming my sanity)! :)

17. Anonymous November 23, 2008 at 12:19 pm #

Packing peanuts that are made from EPS, Corn, or Wheat should not be eaten! They are at least 5% plastic and will build up in your system. The only truly biodegradable packing peanuts in the US are Puffy Stuff of Tennessee. http://Puffystufftn.com
    . If you do not believe me put in http://www.USDA/ARS/loosefill and see for yourself!

18. Emmy March 16, 2009 at 8:13 pm #

Too funny! I got some of these tonight, and bit one. It dissolved in my mouth, but I was kind of afraid to swallow it so I spit it out. Then I Googled “eat packing peanut” and found your blog.

19. Stef March 16, 2009 at 8:16 pm #

Emmy – Hah! You are not alone!

20. Anonymous March 30, 2009 at 5:50 pm #

I got some in the mail, they’re fun to play with, but I’m not sure if they’re safe to eat. They make great fertilizer though!

21. kathy March 29, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

hi all who play with peanuts..iwould like to know exactly which type of peanut to purchase to mold items..with water..and should it be only water .and does it stay glued together…it sounds like fun for my class in sunday school..thank you..kathy..

22. Anonymous December 28, 2012 at 10:22 am #

Those biodegradable poofs also burn really well in a woodstove.

23. norton36021 October 17, 2013 at 3:33 am #

sv茅 tak茅.Very good, thanks for sharing\nIf you’re looking for discount baby diaper bags, you can’t find a better Hermes Birkin Bag Price bargain than a unique backpack style bag that gives parents several carrying options as well as a complete array of handy pockets both inside and out. That just sounds Hermes Birkin 35 rough. It is great for delicate items. If you are a roadwarrior, by that I mean you are on the road with your ipad for Cheap Hermes Outlet Shopping several days in a row, you would want a larger bag with more storage. You could even add a monogrammed towel to complete the set. In the 18th century, fire codes had not yet been developed. It includes one sweater bag that is wide and two lingerie bags that are tall wide. For corporate purposes, laptop bags embroidered with Hermes Birkin Bags Cost the company logo make great holiday gifts or incentive items. From designer bags that look sharp and resemble large purses to custom made bags in a variety of shapes and sizes today’s bags allow moms and even dads to look as sophisticated as they want.

24. Milly S January 10, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

I bought 4 bags of cat food mail order, and they were packed in these peanuts. I ate a couple. No nutritive value, but not unlike the cheese puffs I get a craving for now and then. They are probably just as nutritious as the cheese puffs, but I am not going to make a habit of eating them!

1. Orange Cupcakes: Cupcakes Grilled in an Orange | Cupcake Project - May 29, 2013

[...] these orange cupcakes made in an orange came from Sylvia, a friend/reader. Sylvia left a comment on my packing peanut post saying, “I was talking to a park ranger about outdoor cooking once and he mentioned a great [...]