Greek Bird’s Nest Cupcakes: The Birds and the Bees | Cupcake Project

Greek Bird’s Nest Cupcakes: The Birds and the Bees

My Greek bird’s nest cupcakes are all about honey. They are an extremely dense, honey soaked cake topped with a crunchy, honey soaked Greek bird’s nest cupcake topper. If you love honey and more specifically love Greek desserts like baklava, you’ll adore these cupcakes. The Greek bird’s nest cupcakes are not for you if you can only handle honey in moderation.

I can eat honey by the spoonful, so these cupcakes were perfect for me! The only complaint honey lovers had about them was that it was really hard to eat the topper with the cake. You had to remove the topper and eat it separately. I could have perhaps stuck them together with some frosting, but with all the honey syrup, any frosting at all would have been overkill.

The Greek Bird’s Nest Cupcake Recipe

I got the cake recipe by converting an amazing honey almond cake recipe on Poppalina to cupcakes. Here is the recipe with my modifications:

Greek Bird’s Nest Cupcakes: The Birds and the Bees

Yield: 16 cupcakes

Greek Bird’s Nest Cupcakes: The Birds and the Bees

Cupcake Ingredients
  • 1 C (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1 C sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 C semolina flour
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 1 C ground almonds
  • Honey Syrup Ingredients*
  • 2 C honey (I used Greek honey since I saw some at the store. However, any honey you like would do.)
  • 1 C water
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 cardamom pods (optional)
  • lemon zest to taste (As noted above, I didn't use the lemon zest, but I think it would be a nice touch.)

Cupcake Instructions
  1. Cream butter and sugar.
  2. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
  3. Fold in semolina flour, cinnamon, and ground almonds.
  4. Fill cupcake wrappers 3/4 full.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. As stated on Popillina, "they will be heavy and not a bit springy and that's a good thing.
  6. Honey Syrup Instructions
  7. Put all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
  8. Simmer for 10-20 minutes.
  9. Putting the Cupcakes Together
  10. Poke lots of holes in all the cupcakes (you can use a toothpick or a fork or anything you have handy) and drizzle the hot syrup over the cupcakes.
  11. Wait a minute or so for it to absorb and then do it again.
  12. Continue letting the syrup absorb and adding more about 3 or 4 times.
  13. Put the bird's nests on top of the cupcakes.
  14. Drizzle syrup over the bird's nests so that they are completely covered in the honey.

Notes

*The only change that I would make if I made it again would be to add either a little lemon zest or some lemon juice to the syrup recipe.

You can eat the cupcakes right away while the syrup is warm, but be sure to save some to eat later. The cupcakes get better and better the longer the syrup has to absorb into them. They were still tasty a week after I made them.

The Honey Syrup Recipe

The honey syrup that I used to top both the cake and the bird’s nests also came from Poppalina’s recipe. The only change that I would make if I made it again would be to add either a little lemon zest or some lemon juice to the recipe. One of my regular tasters is half Greek and he thought that it really needed the lemon to taste more authentic.

Cupcake Hero

I am entering these cupcakes into this month’s Cupcake Hero. The theme is Earth Day. How do these cupcakes fit the theme? I’m stretching here, but:

Birds and bees, nests and honey,
Are featured in these cupcakes – and not just to be yummy.
They are important to the Earth, so let’s care for them well,
And important to my cupcakes, they taste so swell!
Happy Earth Day to all, a few days too late.
And enjoy Cupcake Hero – what cupcake’s on your plate?

19 Responses to Greek Bird’s Nest Cupcakes: The Birds and the Bees

1. slush April 27, 2008 at 1:46 pm #

They are awesome. Soooo freakin cute. Honey addicts in this house, so they will go over very well I think. Thanks Stef!

2. Glen April 27, 2008 at 5:03 pm #

Very nice looking cupcake. Good work!

3. Marc @ NoRecipes April 27, 2008 at 8:18 pm #

Mmmmmmm looks delicious!

4. Tempered Woman April 28, 2008 at 9:38 am #

You are such a hoot~ stretching a bit indeed. I’m a big honey lover tho so all is forgiven. I have been hoarding honey that I keep finding. Have you seen the citron honey at Trader Joes? cause uhm, I did. It’s sitting in my panry right now. Didn’t NEED honey, but damn if it didn’t find its way into my cart… I’m thinking this may be JUST the test recipe. heh

5. The sweetest thing... April 28, 2008 at 9:47 am #

Just wanted to let you know that i gave you a major shout out on my blog today. You rock;)

XOXO
    stay sweet.

6. Gigi April 28, 2008 at 5:15 pm #

Very cute! I do like honey so I am book marking them. :)

7. Gil April 29, 2008 at 12:02 am #

Mmmmmm, honey. Winnie the Pooh would dig these.

8. Stef April 29, 2008 at 5:41 am #

Slush – Thanks! Just reading everyone’s comments makes me want more honey!

Glen – Thanks much!

TW – Citron honey? Nope, I didn’t see that. Sounds awesome!

Sweetest – You’re so sweet! I’m so glad you loved the cupcakes!

Gigi – What’s not to love about honey?

Gil – And I dig winnie the poo!

9. dunedindomesticgoddess April 29, 2008 at 5:52 pm #

These look (and sound) absolutely divine! I love honey and these cupcakes seem perfect. :) I’ve never heard of Kataifi before but I’m going to go looking for it so I can try these out.

I’d also like to thank you for welcoming me to the world of blogging. Made me feel special. :)

10. susan May 2, 2008 at 8:34 pm #

how did i miss this?? maybe i thought it was the topping post??? darn these look scrumptious!! i think i need to make these sooon!!!

11. Stef May 2, 2008 at 8:36 pm #

Dune – Thanks so much! I’d never heard of kataifi before eithor. It’s neat stuff!

Susan – Hah! I was wondering how you missed it!

12. susan May 2, 2008 at 8:55 pm #

guess im just goofy!!
    i love kataifi, so i might have to make the cupcakes and the that too. i didnt have a recipe before, but thanks to you i do now!! if you love honey i suggest you make it, it is to die for!! havent you ever gone to a greek festival??

13. simplylove May 11, 2008 at 6:10 pm #

Oh Yum!
    I wish I had stumbled upon these sooner, they’re making my mouth water :D

Excellent work!

14. Michelle May 14, 2008 at 2:11 pm #

Love the honey syrup idea!! Gorgeous cupcakes!

15. Stef May 14, 2008 at 6:21 pm #

Susan – So? Did you make them yet? I’ve had all kinds of Greek desserts, guess I just never knew the name of them all.

SimplyLove – Thanks so much!!

Michelle – Thanks! I love honey syrup on anything!

16. susan May 14, 2008 at 7:45 pm #

shamefully, i have not had a chance to make them. there is a slight chance i might get to make them this weekend. i have been tasting these in my sleep~

17. winnie the pooh theme July 17, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

O dear this bird nest cupcake is fantastic and thanks for the recipe.

1. Semolina Flour: Don’t be Confused | Cupcake Project - June 3, 2013

[...] Greek bird’s nest cupcakes [...]

2. Greek Bird’s Nest Cupcake Toppers: Not for Easter | Cupcake Project - June 3, 2013

[...] week (when I can’t eat them, but I sure can think about them). Also, be sure to check out the Greek Bird’s Nest Cupcakes that they go [...]