Absinthe Cupcakes: Brought to You By the Green Fairy | Cupcake Project

Absinthe Cupcakes: Brought to You By the Green Fairy

The Green Fairy Presents: Absinthe Cupcakes

Prepare for a fantastical journey of taste like none you have experienced before.

What The Fairy’s Friends Said About Absinthe Cupcakes

The Green Fairy’s Only Friend who Had Tried Absinthe Before: Liked the flavor but was disappointed that he didn’t get drunk from the cupcake. (You can definitely taste the absinthe, but sorry, they won’t make you drunk.)

My Pregnant Friend: “This is the closest I’m going to get to alcohol for a while!” She liked them, but thought the texture was too thick.

My Friend who Puts Much Thought Into His Reviews: “I love the texture. It’s very filling so I could stop at one, but it’s so good I could have two or three.”

Groom 2.0: Groom 2.0 was under the influence of the sick fairy so he couldn’t taste anything.

I loved these cupcakes. They had the texture of cornbread (you’ll see there is actually cornmeal in them) and the mild, yet definitive flavor of spice cake but with totally different spices than you would find in a typical spice cake. The topping is simply sugar and absinthe. Some thought there was too much sugar. Some thought there was too little sugar. Some wanted normal frosting. I thought the balance was just right.

I don’t like licorice nor did several of my tasters and we still enjoyed these absinthe cupcakes. People say absinthe tastes like licorice and it does have a small resemblance to it, but it is not the same taste.

The Absinthe Cupcake Recipe

I got the recipe from David Lebovitz. He made these as a cake and I converted them to cupcakes. I reprinted the recipe with my changes below.

Absinthe Cupcakes: Brought to You By the Green Fairy

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Absinthe Cupcakes: Brought to You By the Green Fairy

Cupcake Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 t anise seeds
  • 1 1/4 C flour
  • 1/2 C cornmeal
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 8 T unsalted butter
  • 1 C sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 C whole milk (I used heavy whipping cream because that's what I had on hand)
  • 1/4 C absinthe (I used Absente from Buy Absinthe Alcohol. For more on using and buying absinthe, read this.)
  • 1 small orange
  • Absinthe Glaze Ingredients
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 1/4 C absinthe

Cupcake Instructions
  1. In a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, grind the anise seeds until relatively fine. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and anise seeds. Set aside. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until they are incorporated. Mix together the milk and absinthe with a small handful of orange zest (Use more if you want the orange flavor to shine more. I used about 1/2 t.) Stir half the dry ingredients into the beaten butter. Then add the milk and absinthe mixture. Stir in the remaining dry mixture, being careful not to over mix. They hardly rise at all so you can fill your liners almost all the way to the top. Bake for 30 min at 350 degrees.
  2. Absinthe Glaze Instructions
  3. Stir the sugar and the absinthe. You do NOT want the sugar to dissolve in the absinthe. As you can see in the picture, the glaze had big sugary clumps. Poke holes in the cupcakes and drizzle the glaze into the holes and all over the tops of the cupcakes. All of the glaze should be used when you are done.

23 Responses to Absinthe Cupcakes: Brought to You By the Green Fairy

1. Kimberly March 18, 2008 at 12:52 pm #

More photos of the Green Fairy please!!!

2. Gigi March 18, 2008 at 3:19 pm #

Another original recipe! I love, love coming here to see what else has morphed into a cupcake. Very creative!

3. Ran Mano March 18, 2008 at 9:05 pm #

The drunkard would like it noted that he enjoyed the cupcakes thoroughly, despite the dubious lack of inebriation. The heaviness of the cake worked well with frosting’s texture. Usually I’m all about the soft and creamy cupcake, but this one won me over.

4. laura March 19, 2008 at 4:56 am #

Was fun to read about this one!

In case you or your readers are interested, there is a ‘cupcake carrier’ being given away on another blog:

Seems like an excellent idea! I have one from crate and barrel (although it’s a bit different), and love it.

5. Jules March 19, 2008 at 7:54 am #

These look fab!

6. ~Madeline~ March 19, 2008 at 2:27 pm #

Now this could be dangerous! These are so cool. Nice work!

7. Elliot March 19, 2008 at 3:18 pm #

hey: when I’m back in town, can I try one of the absinthe cupcakes?

You know, absinthe makes the heart grow fonder, bwah hah!

Elliot

8. Elliot March 19, 2008 at 3:19 pm #

hey: when I’m back in town, can I try one of the absinthe cupcakes?

You know, absinthe makes the heart grow fonder, bwah hah!

Elliot

9. Stef March 19, 2008 at 8:02 pm #

Kimberly – Nope. Just one. :)

Gigi – Thanks! It’s so much fun.

Ran – Do you now read the blog just to see if you are mentioned in some code?

Laura – Thanks for passing that on! Everyone likes free stuff!

Jules – Thanks so much!

Madeline – Hah! It’s true.

Elliot – You couldn’t help yourself could you? In fact, you thought it was so funny you had to say it twice.

10. CB March 19, 2008 at 8:07 pm #

oh my! I’d say you earned your commission. haha. green wings are really fab on you ;) You rock.
    -Clara

11. KELLY SCHMICKLE March 21, 2008 at 10:09 am #

Genius! My brother brought some absinthe back from Belgium or Denmark for me a few years ago. While I’ve never seen the Green Fairy, I do like the whole ritual of the glass, spoon, sugar cube, and water. It’s a good party trick. :-)

12. Ginny March 21, 2008 at 11:26 am #

Fabulous idea! I love the photo with the Green Fairy!

13. Stef March 21, 2008 at 2:53 pm #

CB – Hah! Thanks! Maybe I’ll bring them out again for Halloween.

Kelly – Having Absinthe at a party at all is a good party trick. Seems to be all the rage.

Ginny – Thanks! I don’t often let my husband photograph me, but he promised I wouldn’t be the focus of the photo so I let him.

14. Gil March 22, 2008 at 5:16 pm #

Peter Pan?

15. brandiweed June 2, 2009 at 4:38 pm #

Late to the party here, but could the glaze be made by combining the absinthe with, say, green sanding sugar? That’d give it a colorful look!

16. Stef June 2, 2009 at 5:53 pm #

Brandiweed – What a great idea! You could definitely do that!

17. brandiweed June 2, 2009 at 9:50 pm #

I joked with friends that I might make cupcakes like these next time they decide to have a Moulin Rouge viewing party– so maybe I *will*.

I see a few pretty options here: green sanding sugar (Wilton actually sells a green and white mix), Wilton’s Cake Sparkles (which seem to be a sort of sugar flake), and their pearlized ssugar.

18. Bridal Gowns October 19, 2012 at 12:39 am #

I really wish I hadn’t seen this as I really want one now!

19. Anonymous December 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

How can one that is pregnant enjoy these since the frosting is sugar and absinthe which hasn’t been cooked? Did I miss something?

1. Hipster Cupcakes – Vegan PBR Cupcakes with Vegan Buttercream Frosting | Cupcake Project - April 18, 2013

[...] shoot.  But, playing dress up was fun (those of you who have seen my Wild West cupcakes and my absinthe cupcakes know that I don’t shy away from costumes).  Many of us dress up for Halloween, but I [...]

2. Maple Bacon Lollypops and Absinthe Lollypops from Lollyphile | Cupcake Project - May 17, 2013

[...] We’ve had our share of foreplay. The post that comes to the top of my mind is one of me in an absinthe fairy costume. Is it coincidental that the other Lollyphile lollypop flavor is absinthe? I think [...]

3. Absinthe is Legal and Ready to Be Used in Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - June 4, 2013

[...] I asked them if they would still be interested in actually paying me if I simply wrote about making absinthe cupcakes. Answer: Yes. 3. Many people don’t believe there is such a thing as an unbiased review if you [...]

4. Dark Chocolate Absinthe Crinkle Cookies | Cupcake Project - December 5, 2014

[...] is not the first time I have baked with absinthe – that was back in 2008 when I made absinthe cupcakes and dressed up like a green fairy for the photo.  Yeah, I did [...]