Relatively Low Calorie Chocolate Mousse

Relatively Low Calorie Chocolate Mousse

custard, chocolate, mousse, New Year's Eve

Chocolate mousse is not low calorie.  However, this chocolate mousse has no sugar, butter, or heavy cream in it, which makes it a relatively low calorie chocolate mousse.  The key to this chocolate mousse is using top quality chocolate.  In this chocolate mousse recipe, the flavor of the chocolate itself is what makes the mousse unforgettable and keeps you from missing the sugar and added fat.

The Relatively Low Calorie Chocolate Mousse Recipe

Last Chance to Eat: The Fate of Taste in a Fast Food World

I found the recipe (which is reprinted in my own words below) for the low calorie chocolate mousse in a discussion thread at (credited originally to Last Chance to Eat).

View on

This recipe uses raw eggs.  I suggest using pasteurized eggs for safety.

Relatively Low Calorie Chocolate Mousse

Yield: 8 servings

Relatively Low Calorie Chocolate Mousse

• 8 raw eggs, separated (I suggest using pasteurized eggs)
  • 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
  • 3 tablespoons black coffee
  • 1 tablespoon brandy

1. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks until they are a pale yellow.
  2. Melt the chocolate with the coffee using a double boiler or a metal boil over boiling water.
  3. Remove from heat, and mix with a beater or wire whisk, adding the egg yolks a little at a time.
  4. Add the brandy.
  5. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until they are foamy and hold soft peaks.
  6. Mix two tablespoons of the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
  7. Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites.
  8. Pour the mixture into a glass bowl or individual serving dishes and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours. The mousse will thicken up as it chills.

If you are using this a filling for Better Than Sex Cupcakes, it will fill all 16 with some leftover for snacking.

Better Than Sex Cupcakes

Better Than Sex Cupcakes
My Better than Sex cupcakes are filled with this mousse. Check them out.

11 comments on “Relatively Low Calorie Chocolate Mousse”

1. Ok, now this is just getting mean. You’re toying with me aren’t you??

2. Stef says:

It’s all a plot against you, TW. You are correct.

3. Kaman says:

wow that looks extrememlly rich and deicious. I make my low calorie chocolate pudding by using the instant sugar free and fat free chocolate pudding powder and then I mix it with lite cool whip. I really wanna try yours! especially if it has brandy and coffee. :)

4. Joy says:

This is so evil :p Looks so good!

5. Stef says:

Kaman – Give it a go! It’s an easy recipe.

Joy – I’m an evil temptress.

6. Gigi says:

Low fat mousse? There is a god! I cannot wait to see the cupcake.

7. Anonymous says:

this looks to good to be true

8. Anonymous says:

I made this for a dinner party last week. It was absolutely divine! It had everyone scraping the bottom of their trifle dishes and asking for more. I used a bar of semi-sweet Godiva Chocolate and a bar of bitter sweet Godiva Chocolate. They are 4 ounces each. I used unpasteurized eggs and no one got sick. I skipped the extra calories that whipped cream would have added and instead topped things off with fresh raspberries and mint sprigs. By my calculations, each serving (made 7 for my portions) had about 237 calories and 14 grams of fat. Considering that regular mousse has about 670 calories and 48 grams of fat, I would say this definitely is a great low cal/low fat recipe! This recipe is definitely a keeper!

9. i’m very interested in experimenting with ‘relatively low calorie’ recipes. i know some people think its sacreligious, but i think there’s something in it. got any other secrets?! esp cupcakes! xx cupcakes vs contracts

10. Anonymous says:

is there a way to make these without the brandy?

11. Good site! I truly love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified when a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a great day!

Show All Comments / Leave a Comment