Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cupcakes: Sexy Valentine’s Day Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cupcakes: Sexy Valentine’s Day Cupcakes

Dulce de Leche Cupcake

Last week, I posted a cute Valentine’s Day cupcake that is perfect for kids, the Shirley Temple Cupcake. This week, I present you with a sexy Valentine’s Day cupcake, the chocolate dulce de leche cupcake.

What Makes this Valentine’s Day Cupcake Sexy?

I think just saying the word dulce de leche is sexy. Am I alone in this? It’s even more sexy if you say “cho-co-lat” with a French accent and then go all Latin with “dulce de leche.” You combine two extremely sexy cultures into one cupcake.

Will Making These Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cupcakes Get You More Valentine’s Day Action?

I make no promises. However, it certainly can’t hurt your chances, especially if you are particularly good at licking dripping dulce de leche off [insert body part here].

Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cupcake Reviews

Everyone enjoyed these cupcakes. My favorite review, however, was from my friend and massage therapist, Hao. Hao said that they were the best cupcakes she ever had. She is clearly a cupcake connoisseur. She also works across the street from Jilly’s Cupcake Bar. If you need a massage, check out Studio Hao and then have a cupcake. Ah, bliss.

Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cupcake Recipe

For the chocolate dulce de leche cupcake recipe, I modified the cake I used in my Ferrero Rocher cupcakes. This original recipe has been modified from Sweets Made Here.

Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cupcakes: Sexy Valentine’s Day Cupcakes

Yield: About 30 cupcakes

Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cupcakes: Sexy Valentine’s Day Cupcakes

• 1 c boiling water
  • 3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 c unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 c dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 c granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 2/3 c dulce de leche (Directions on how to make dulce de leche are found here.)

1. In a bowl, whisk the boiling water into cocoa until smooth and whisk in milk and vanilla extract. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes, and beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Into another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt and add to egg mixture in batches alternately with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, and beating well after each addition. Stir in the dulce de leche. Fill each wrapper slightly more than 1/2 way. They will rise a lot. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Notes

For dulce de leche frosting, simply spread some dulce de leche on top of the cupcake. Easy!

See this post for more ideas.

What is the Red Stuff?

To give the cupcake a bit more of a romantic feel, I put some red sugar on top of the cupcake. There is no need to buy red sugar – simply put some sugar in a bowl, add some red food coloring to it, and stir. I then used my culinary torch to brûlée the top of the cupcake. This is something you could do table side to really get the fire going for the evening.

If Fire is Your Thing…

You may also want to check out my coffee cupcakes with meringue. Those would also be perfect for a table side cupcake preparation.

26 Responses to Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cupcakes: Sexy Valentine’s Day Cupcakes

1. CB January 27, 2008 at 7:02 pm #

Love the name. I am feeling randy already. haha.

2. Dee Light January 28, 2008 at 8:45 am #

Oh Yummy, and oh so sexy!!!

I enjoyed my visit to your blog, I love cooking blogs with a sence of humor.

3. ironstef January 28, 2008 at 9:24 am #

dulce de leche is so HAWT!! I love it. I thought I loved caramel…but I didn’t know true lusty love until I met dulce de leche. Of course, I have yet to make it for fear ox ‘sploding cans. Good thing my nearby mexican grocery store has already made cans of it!! And it’s sooooo good. I used it for some fantasmic cookies.

4. How To Eat A Cupcake January 28, 2008 at 1:44 pm #

I’m so glad I found this recipe! Thanks for posting!

5. Nancy January 29, 2008 at 5:43 am #

The chocolate cupcake was just right both in terms of being moist and the amount of chocolate flavor. Obviously, the dulce la leche was perfect, too. However, I must be a kid at heart because the Shirley Temple may be my all time favorite.

6. lemontartlet January 31, 2008 at 11:12 am #

This sounds like exactlly the sort of thing I was looking for, only didn’t know it until you told me so! Yum!

7. Anonymous January 9, 2009 at 7:27 pm #

Hey! I made these cupcakes yesterday – they were fantastic!!!

8. Anonymous February 9, 2009 at 6:47 am #

who knew something as cute as a cupcake could be so hot….? Just say Dulche
    AmyRuth

9. Anonymous February 20, 2010 at 3:38 am #

Hi there! Great recipe – I love dulce de leche and wish it had some kind of supernutrient so that I could justify eating it more often :)

I just made these cupcakes and the flavour is excellent, but mine didn’t rise. The mixture was very wet, what should the cupcake batter look like before it goes in the oven?

10. Stef February 21, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

Anon – That’s odd that they didn’t rise. I made these ages ago so I’m not sure what the batter looked like – I don’t recall. Sorry I can’t help more. :(

11. Betty March 21, 2010 at 7:00 pm #

these look gorgeous!

12. Laura C September 17, 2010 at 1:52 am #

my husband is from So. America so dulce de leche has become a staple in our kitchen. when I found this recipe yesterday, my 8 year old begged me to try it for his birthday party tomorrow. YUM! I just baked 36 dulce cupcakes and they are heavenly. The cake itself is so good that I don’t think I’ll ice them with dulce de leche tomorrow, but what a cake.

by the way, we’ve made dulce by cooking cans of s. condensed milk. works great but watch carefully – an explosion takes a lifetime to clean up!

13. Laura C September 17, 2010 at 7:12 am #

Just decorated the earlier mentioned dulce cupcakes- half with stripes of pure dulce de leche, the other half with the vanilla bean butter cream frosting. Both look and taste yummy.

I have color pictures – does anyone know how to upload them to this blog?

14. Stef September 17, 2010 at 7:17 am #

Sounds great! Laura, you can’t post them on the blog, you are welcome to post them on the Cupcake Project Facebook page. I’d love to see them.

15. Laura C September 17, 2010 at 7:55 am #

haha Stef…can’t figure out how to do that either. I have the cupcake pictures on my facebook page but don’t want to open up the security. How can I post them to your facebook page? Or, shall I just e-mail them to you?

Many thanks! They are really delicious and beautiful.

16. Stef September 17, 2010 at 8:09 am #

Laura – You can just post on my wall and attach the photo. If you can’t figure it out, feel free to email them to me.

17. Shannon July 27, 2011 at 4:23 pm #

These were screaming out to me! Got up and put the scm in the crock pot fiirst thing this morning. OMG, it is heavenly. Of course, I overfilled the first pan so they made tons of yummy cupcake pool but the other 4 dz. (Total of 5 dz) were the right amount but they all sank in the middle, even the ones that didn’t get overfilled. Any idea what I did wrong? The batter reminded me of chocolate mousse.

18. Stef August 7, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

Shannon – I wish I could say what went wrong. It’s so hard to know. Sorry that happened to you and wish I could be more helpful.

19. Tina Kauffmann March 8, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

I made some tonight – so incredibly easy and explode-proof. I used 2 cans of Sweetened condensed milk. Used an electric can opener to remove the entire lid. Poured both cans into an oven-proof glass casserole dish – used a spatula to made sure I scraped the cans very well. I pre-set the oven to 425 F. Covered my glass dish with aluminum foil and set it into a over-sized rectangle cake pan. Poured water to about an inch from the top and placed it in the oven for one hr, 45 minutes. I did stir it once – about an hour and 15 min into the process. When I pulled it from the oven it was the most beautiful light golden brown color and smooth as silk. I made the cupcakes tonight. They are absolutely delicious, but… I can’t figure out why they sunk, shrunk and actually pulled away from the cupcake liners. I’ve been baking over 45 years and have never seen this happen. If anyone can figure it out, PLEASE let me know. My email addy is anangelseyes2c@msn.com. Thanks!

20. Karla February 28, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Stef, I want to make this recipe but I have a problem finding brown sugar in my country I wanted to know if I can replace it with something else

Thanks!

21. Karla March 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

tinaaaaaaaa! same happen to me if someone can help me please let me know too cinema@live.cl

Thanks!

22. dating beautiful women December 12, 2013 at 7:02 am #

Exceptional write-up. I was examining frequently your blog using this program . fascinated! Extremely helpful info exclusively the residual phase :) We take care of similarly info a good deal. I became looking for this kind of selected facts for any long time. Many thanks as well as all the best ..

1. Cajeta – Mexican Goat Milk Dulce De Leche | Cupcake Project - April 18, 2013

[...] my friend Brooke, owner of Sucre Shop), then I have some other ideas for you.  I’ve used dulce de leche in chocolate cupcakes, as frosting on banana cupcakes and mango cupcakes, and in a very special breakfast souffle.  [...]

2. What is Dulce de Leche? | Cupcake Project - June 4, 2013

[...] week, I made chocolate dulce de leche cupcakes. When I told my friends and family about it, the most common response was, “Huh? What is [...]

3. [ dulce de leche ] | Frankly, my dear - September 8, 2013

[...] Chocolate Dulce De Leche Cupcake Recipe: (original recipe found here) [...]

4. Valentine’s Day Recipes | Simply Recipes - May 26, 2014

[...] – a berry studded pavlova from Kitchen Delights Chocolate Almond Cakes from Dessert First Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cupcakes from Cupcake Project Salted Butter Caramel and Milk Chocolate Mousse from Pille of Nami-Nami [...]