Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes: Rich Chocolate Cupcakes with Hazelnut

Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes: Rich Chocolate Cupcakes with Hazelnut

cupcakes, chocolate, cupcakes with filling, ganache, hazelnut, nut

Kimberly of Kimberly C Baking emailed me about the idea of a Ferrero Rocher cupcake. After I wondered, “What the heck is a Ferrero Rocher?” I looked up Ferrero Rocher on Wikipedia and declared it a great idea.

We talked about her idea for a bit and Kimberly suggested that we both bake different styles of Ferrero Rocher cupcakes and blog about it; another great idea. I was on board still never having tasted the chocolate behind the gold foil.

I picked some up and and gave it a try. Damn. That’s a good chocolate. It was no wonder people liked these things. Try some if you have never had them!

I was ready to create. I decided to make a chocolate hazelnut cupcake and give it a gooey ganache filling (like the gooey surprise in the chocolate) and top it with a chocolate ganache with hazelnuts bits in it (again, like the chocolate).

Where to Buy Hazelnut Extract

In order to make said cupcake, however, I needed hazelnut extract. Apparently, there is no demand for hazelnut extract in St. Louis, because nobody carries it. I do have to give special props to Straubs and Penzey’s Spices who both went out of the their way to suggest other places I could possibly find it in town. The lady at Penzey’s actually called 3 other places for me. Finally, I had to purchase it online here and wait… and wait.. and wait.. OK, it took just a week to arrive, but when I have my heart set on baking something, I am ready. I do not want to wait!

How to Pronounce Ferrero Rocher

While I was waiting, I had more time to plan. I was always hesitant to use the name “Ferrero Rocher” when telling people what I was making because I had/have no idea how to say it. It turns out though, that most people don’t know how to say it. Only one person I asked seemed confident in his pronunciation. However, saying the chocolate in the gold foil seemed to be understood by everyone. The cupcake also needed to be easily recognizable. It needed gold.

Using Edible Gold on Cupcakes

For the gold on my cupcakes, I used actual edible gold. What else? I had no idea that gold was edible. Apparently you can eat gold, but it has no nutritional value. It just goes in and comes out. Hmm… I forgot to check for gold flakes in my poop. Good thing I still have some cupcakes left so I can try this experiment.

Finally, my extract came and I was ready to bake. Alas, Kimberly, my partner in crime, was sick. Then, she had to go and be nice and bake someone some chocolate cupcakes for Christmas. She hasn’t gotten to bake her Ferrero Rochers yet. I was going to wait and post with her, but did I mention that I don’t like waiting?

You are just going to have to promise to check Kimberly’s blog and her cupcakes when she get them done. I’ll also update this post with a link to her completed cupcakes.

Ferrero Rocher Cupcake Reviews

My husband: “Wow! These are just like the chocolate!”
My friend: “These are some of your best ones yet.”
My Mother-In-Law: “These are good, but not as good as the caviar cheesecake ones.” (She is alone in this line of thinking.)
My blogging friend: Said nothing at the time, but mentioned them on her blog.
Me: I thought they were perfect. They were a rich, moist chocolate with great hazelnut undertones – but not too sweet. The gooey surprise inside worked really well, as did the ganache. It all just came together.

Ferrero Rocher Cupcake Recipe

The cupcake recipe came from Laura of Sweets Made Here.

Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes: Rich Chocolate Cupcakes with Hazelnut

Yield: It is for 12 cupcakes. I doubled it.

Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes: Rich Chocolate Cupcakes with Hazelnut

• Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache*** Ingredients
  • 1/2 c heavy cream
  • 8 oz good semi-sweet chocolate chunks
  • 2 T light corn syrup
  • 2 t hazelnut extract

Cupcake Instructions
  1. In a bowl, whisk the boiling water into cocoa until smooth and whisk in milk, vanilla, and hazelnut extracts. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes, and beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Into another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt and add to egg mixture in batches alternately with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, and beating well after each addition. Fill each wrapper slightly more than 1/2 way. They will rise a lot. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
  2. Gooey Chocolate Hazelnut Filling Instructions
  3. Bring heavy cream to a boil. Pour over chocolate chips to melt them. Add extract. Mix until fluffy. Let cool. Cut a cone in each cupcake and put a teaspoon or two of the ganache in. Replace the cone.
  4. Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache Instructions
  5. Heat the cream on the stove until it boils. Pour over the chocolate and stir to melt, adding the corn syrup and hazelnut extract.

*I have never used that much of an extract in a recipe before. I actually worried that it was a typo and she meant teaspoon. However, it definitely needed that much. In fact, I added another whole tablespoon (1/2 if you are only making 12).

**If you have some Nutella around, I think you could easily just fill this with Nutella. I did not have Nutella around and didn't want to go to the store.

***I used the ganache recipe from Sweets Made Here. The only change I made was that rather than putting hazelnuts on top as she did, I mixed 1 Cup of toasted, ground hazelnuts into the ganache before spreading. Also, while I doubled the cake recipe, I did not double the ganache recipe and I still had plenty.

61 comments on “Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes: Rich Chocolate Cupcakes with Hazelnut”

1. KimberleyC says:

They Look so yummy! You have to freeze and ship 1 to me ;-) Mine are coming soon! :-)

2. Wow. That looks amazing. And of course, your gold foil muffin cup liners are genius. My bread pudding is in good company sitting next to your cupcakes!

3. Anonymous says:

This is seriously brilliant. I’m in awe. Really. Seriously.

4. Stef says:

Kimberly – Can’t wait to see yours!!

Kiriel – Thanks!

Ann – If only I could eat them both together right now!

Sara – Aww. Thanks!

5. staria says:

wow! i cannot believe that it never occurred to me to make ferrero cupcakes!They look awesome, this are definitely going in my to-do list.

6. Jaelithe says:

I will have to try this ASAP. I don’t particularly like the candy (not a milk chocolate fan), but I LOVE hazelnuts. Maybe I will make a dark chocolate version.

Of course, I have a list of about 30 baking recipes to try ASAP now, since my husband got me this awesome baking cookbook for Christmas. (Am I right in thinking he probably got this also as a present for himself?)

7. Stef says:

Staria – It wouldn’t have occurred to me either. We’ve got to thank Kimberly for that. Hopefully she makes hers soon. She says they will be her first cupcake of the new year.

Jaelithe – Hah! I bet he did. :). These would be awesome with dark chocolate. Go for it!

8. Kate says:

Thank you! And thanks for sharing the delicious FR recipe. Huge hit at the party I made them for.

9. Kimberly says:

I love Ferrero Rocher! I must try these soon!

10. WOW! Okay, those are my favorite chocolates. I am totally making these!!!!!!!!

11. Dolores says:

Pronunciation key: Feh-REH-Roh Ro-CHAY.

Their first name is my last name.

And these will undoubtedly be my contribution to Taste & Create VI.

12. Stef says:

Sorry it’s taken me so long to get back to some of you.

Kate – Yay!!! I’m so glad it was a success!!

HTEAC – I look forward to hearing about it. I’m sure your list is a mile long like mine is.

Dolores – Hah! You were destined to make this. I’m still perusing your site to determine which one I will pick. I’m excited!

13. Hendria says:

wow…I work for Ferrero Canada and am part of the process of making these. These look really good.

14. Anonymous says:

Hi Stef

I can’t seem to buy hazelnut extract in the UK but I found a receipe for making your own – I thought you might be interested. I’m guessing you could adapt this for other extracts too.

15. Stef says:

Liz – That’s very cool! Thanks so much for sharing!!

16. Prajakta says:

That looks Yummy! Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe. Me and my son love the chocolate, so I have to try it for his birthday! I’m very new at this kinda baking, I understood the steps upto using the Gooey Chocolate Hazelnut Filling. Can you please tell me what to do with The Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache?

17. Stef says:

Prajakta – Wait for the ganache to cool just a little bit, then spread it over the cupcakes. It will harden as it cools. Good luck! Let me know if you have more questions.

18. milena says:

Hi!! ive been DYING to make these for christmas but i cannot find the hazelnut extract anywhere!! I would have to order it online as my last resort but i was curious to know can you substitute hazelnut syrup for the extract or would that be not sufficient for this? Thank you!

19. Stef says:

I had the same problem. I had to order it online. The syrup might work, but I don’t think it would be as strong. I’ve never tried it, so I won’t make any promises.

20. I did see these! I was gonna use the same recipe but didn’t have any hazelnut extract. Yours look so fabulous!

21. Xiaolu says:

I made (and posted about) these and they were great! My only issue was with the filling being waaay too liquidy but I did make some substitutions… Thanks for posting these!

22. Jasmine says:

im planning to make this soon but im just wondering whether or not i can use ground hazelnuts intead of the essence because i cant seem to find them anywhere and im not a big fan of the whole buying online.

thanks for the recipe by the way

23. Stef says:

Jasmine – It would change the texture of the cupcake, of course, but it would still be tasty!

24. GiGiLuLu says:

You can purchase Hazelnut extract (& many others) online through the King Arthur Flour Co.

25. I made these earlier this summer and just posted my pictures the other day. Thanks so much for posting this recipe… the cupcakes were simply delicious!

Keep posting… I’m in LOVE with your blog!

26. Freakin’ Fantastic! I can’t believe you hadn’t eaten Ferrero Rochers before. Knowing how much I love them, my hubby sent me a link to your post and you did the chocolates justice. Very nice!

27. Wheetie says:

I made these the other day. Filled them with Nutella. Instead of edible gold, I used pearlized gold sugar sprinkles. The cupcakes were a BIG hit!

28. I make a close version of this. I make my signature chocolate cupcakes and plop a ferrero rocher into the center of the batter and cook. the I top it off with espresso infused chocolate ganache with bits of hazelnuts chopped up and tossed in. Yummy!

29. Constance says:

Thanks for this recipe! I just made it and it was a little taste of heaven in a paper case. I was too impatient to wait for hazelnut essence, so I used Frangelico instead (hazelnut liqueur). It added a couple of extra minutes to the baking time, but tasted amazing. I used Green and Black’s organic version of Nutella for the filling.

30. ancameni says:

You are awesome. I just saw your blog and immediately bookmarked your page. I will try these ones this coming weekend. Thanks

31. Anonymous says:

I’m really excited to try out this recipe tomorrow but I’m a bit confused, the recipe for the cupcake batter, is it already doubled or do we need to doouble it?? Thanks!

32. Stef says:

Anon – I understand your confusion. I think it’s 12 cupcakes. But, I’m honestly not quite sure. I wrote this post 3 years ago and I wasn’t writing things as clearly as I do now. If you make them, please tell me how many it makes and I’ll update the post. Thanks so much! So sorry for the confusion.

33. ChristineR says:

The recipe made 18 cupcakes for me, but perhaps that is because I filled them a little less than half-full and threw a chocolate wafer in the middle. For the ganache, I added in quite a lot of Nutella to give it extra hazelnut flavor. I found that even though I kept adding the hazelnut extract and Nutella, the chocolate still seemed to be the dominant flavor throughout the whole cupcake. Regardless, it is delicious. Made them for my sister’s birthday; can’t wait to see her reaction tonight!

34. Lucy says:

These look absolutely AMAZING.

Like many others, I want to try this but Im having trouble locating this ‘hazelnut extract’ you speak of haha.

Do you reckon I’d be able to use hazelnut-flavored liqour instead? I dont want to risk buying anything online. I dont want to wait anyway =P

35. Stef says:

Lucy- You could certainly try it with the liquor. It might not have as strong a flavor, but it should work. Enjoy!

36. Nadia says:

Can I use Hazelnut syrup instead of extract? How much syrup should I use?

37. Stef says:

Nadia – I imagine the syrup won’t be as strong as the extract. But, you could certainly try it. You’ll probably need more of it, but since I haven’t tried it, I can’t say how much.

38. april says:

I made these for my b-day yesterday and wow they were a huge hit!!

39. Jenn says:

Could I substitute Hazelnut oil for the extract? I just ordered some from LorAnn’s Oils before I realized that this recipe called for Extract. If I sub, how much oil should I start with (for the cake, filling and ganache)?

40. Anonymous says:

You can get hazelnut extract (and many otherss) at

41. Abby says:

WOw!! So awesomex)
    I wanna eat;)

ANd ur site is so lovely<3

42. Niyousha says:

I cannot wait to try this!! Ferrero Rocher is my fave chocolate!!!! I just found a recipe to make the ice cream and now I can make cupcakes too!!

I love your site!!

PS. I live in Toronto, Canada, and I thought it would difficult to find hazelnut extract. However, one of the larger health food stores in my neighborhood carries it amongst many other uncommon extracts. Check your health food stores first before ordering online.

Thanks for your posts!

43. eddykflee says:

Hi niyousha, stumbled upon your comment by chance. Where did you find the rocher ice cream recipe? Mind sharing? Thanks.

44. Visnee says:

After much anticipation, I finally made these cupcakes! I split – half as per above with nutella as filling, and half with no filling, just an actual rocher candy in it. Both were great, it’s all a matter of preference on texture at that point. The ganache mixed with the hazelnuts are heavenly. I can’t wait to bring them to the office for people to try tomorrow, thank you sharing for a splendid recipe!

45. Niyousha says:

Hi sorry, just saw your comment now. Here is the recipe

I am going to make these cupcakes this week-end!!!!!

46. Niyousha says:

So I made these cupcakes and they were a hit. However, I didn’t find the hazelnut extract strong. I put 3 T of it and still nothing. I happened to be in Golda’s Kitchen and came across Lorann’s Cream Hazelnut flavor oil. When you open the cap the hazelnut flavor smacks you in the face. I just made the cupcakes again and wow, I instantly taste them.
    This time I put a Ferraro Rocher on top in the middle and spray painted it with edible gold paint!!!

Here is the link for the oil:

47. Amazing recipe! you’re a genius :-)

48. terrilynn31 says:

Made the cupcake and they expanded while baking but when the cooled they sunk. I thought may be my oven was not hot enough?(new oven) Will try again.. Must say even though they sank in the middle my kids ate them up!!!!

49. terrilynn31 says:

Made the cupcakes they rose in the oven. but during cooling they sank in the middle. I thought my temp in my oven was off?(new oven) But my kids ate them anyway!!!! they said they were great.

50. Maria M. says:

I baked these cupcakes to bring to work on Valentine’s Day. It was my first attempt at making cupcakes from scratch and I must say I was pretty successful! Some comments though: 1.-I had to cool the cream/chip mixture in the freezer, it wouldn’ whip otherwise! 2.-I had to melt the choc./cream in the mirco to make the ganache. The cream wasn’t hot enought to melt the chocolate. Other than that, easy peasy! I’ll let you know what my co-workers think. How can I share a pic?

51. Stef says:

Maria – You can’t share a pic here, but I’d love it if you posted one on the Cupcake Project facebook page. If you aren’t on FB, you can always email it to me

52. Kat says:

Oddly enough, certain bigger chain grocery stores have started carrying imitation Hazelnut extract. My mother in law found me a bottle of it at one of the Albertson’s nearby. Don’t know exactly how well it’s going to come out, but we’ll find out tonight!

53. The T means Tablespoon and the t means teaspoon, right?

54. im about to make it :D so exited!! :), but just to be sure, does the T mean tablespoon and t teaspoon?

55. Cherry B says:

Question: Do you have a version of this recipe in grams?

56. diana says:

just one question about the cone, do you spoon out a small hole in the cupcake to put the cone in and replace the cone with the cupcake prior to spreading the ganache over?

57. Shelby says:

How hard would this be to convert to a 9×13 cake? What temperature would you recommend baking it at, and for how long?

• Stef says:

I don’t think it would be hard. I’d keep it at the same temperature and just monitor it closely to determine the baking time. It should take maybe another 10 minutes longer than the cupcakes.

Show All Comments / Leave a Comment