This past weekend, some good friends of mine got married (not the ones I’m making the wedding cupcakes for) in Dallas, Texas. I made these cupcakes in their honor. Some people do book dedications or radio shout-outs, I do cupcake dedications. In fact, if you would like a cupcake created in someone’s honor, just let me know, and we might be able to work something out. The more incentive you give me ($$$), the higher it would go on my to-bake list. I’d design it, give you the recipe and write about the honoree on my blog. Any takers?
I asked the Texas Groom what were his bride’s favorite flavors. He responded with:
“pizza, MEXICAN FOOD!, hamburgers with pickles and onions only.
She also likes red cream soda (big red specifically). and candy corn…”
Since Mexican was in caps and the wedding was in Texas, I decided that was the cupcake route I needed to go.
Question for my readers: Is anyone else a red cream soda fan? Is there actually something different about red cream soda? Does she just like the taste of food coloring?
The Fiesta Cupcake Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 T cocoa powder
- 1 cup salsa (I used a medium spice Habanero salsa)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 bag of Tostitos Scoops
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and cocoa. Mix in the butter.
- Add the salsa, beating 3 minutes with an electric mixer. Next beat in the eggs and water, beating another 3 minutes.
- Line up Tostitos Scoops on a baking sheet.
- Fill each scoop with 3/4 t of batter.
- Bake for 10-15 (until toothpick comes out clean).
- 1/4 C butter
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese
- 3 C powdered sugar
- Hot Sauce to taste (add it in slowly and keep tasting until you get the level of spice you are comfortable with)
Note to Terrorists: Do not try to fly with cupcakes bombs, the TSA takes cupcake testing very seriously.
I wouldn’t call these cupcakes crowd favorites, but they got eaten and it was fun to watch everyone’s bemused, “Ummm.. this is interesting” reaction.
Wish me luck! Better yet, head to the Joust Forum at the end of the month and vote for me!