The Hot Cocoa Ice Cream Cupcake is a chocolate cupcake with chocolate ice cream and marshmallow buttercream frosting. Simple but delicious. It’s based on a chocolate cupcake I make a lot. A friend of mine says it tastes like hot cocoa so I thought it would make for a cute ice cream idea, going for the irony. I just started baking cupcakes two months ago so this is my first contest, I’m excited. Thanks for the inspiration!
16 regular cupcakes
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1. Beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
2 Add egg and beat until well combined.
3. Measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder into a small sized bowl and whisk to combine.
4. Measure out the milk, vanilla extract and coconut extract and stir to combine
5. Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar and beat to combine. Add about a half of the milk/vanilla/coconut and beat to combine. Continue adding, alternating between dry and wet and finishing with the dry.
6. Scoop batter into cupcake cups about 1/2 full. Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees for about 17-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Chocolate Ice Cream
Makes 5 Cups
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (can also use bittersweet)
2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla bean paste
1. Heat the whole milk until it is just bubbling around the edges (this may be done on the stovetop or in a microwave).
2. In a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse to process the sugar with the chocolate until the chocolate is very finely chopped.
3. Add the hot milk, process until well blended and smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and let the chocolate mixture cool completely.
4. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla to taste. Chill for 30 minutes or longer.
5. Pour chilled mixture into ice cream machine and let mix until thickened, about 25 – 30 minutes.
Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
1 1/2 cup frosting
1/2 cup butter
1 7oz jar marshmallow fluff
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1. Beat butter in a medium bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy.
2. Beat in marshmallow cream.
3. When well blended, beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Increase speed to high and beat 3-4 minutes until fluffy.