How to Store Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

How to Store Cupcakes

How to Store Cupcakes

After the cupcakes have cooled, I keep then in large Tupperware-style containers.  Food safety experts recommend that cupcakes with whipped cream, buttercream, cream cheese, or ganache frostings should be refrigerated. While I always keep whipped cream and ganache in the fridge, I often keep my buttercream and cream cheese cupcakes on the counter. I haven’t gotten sick yet (nor have any of my tasters), but if you choose to also leave them out, it is at your own risk.  Refrigerated cupcakes should always be brought to room temperature before eating.

If you need to store your cupcakes for more than 3-4 days, most cupcakes can be frozen without a problem.

13 Responses to How to Store Cupcakes

1. Anonymous June 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

How long can you store unfrosted cupcakes in a freezer?

I want to make cream cheese frosting, but doesn’t the cupcakes then have to be put in the fridge?

2. Stef July 5, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

They should be fine frozen for a few weeks. Some people will even freeze them for months, but they don’t last that long around my house.

3. Anonymous December 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

I’ve an order for Christmas day, but I am delivering the cupcakes on the 20th december. How should I store them?

4. chicks101 April 6, 2012 at 7:42 am #

I would like to transport 60 cupcakes in cardboard cake holders. Can these then be stored in the fridge overnight- or do they need to be airtight containers?

• Stef April 7, 2012 at 6:10 am #

You can store them overnight. Just bring them to room temp before serving.

5. Anonymous November 7, 2012 at 8:50 am #

How should i store cupcakes without frosting?
    I’m frosting them the day after I’ve baked them.
    There are so many different opinions.. some say they get dry when put in the fridge – others say not, some say in an airtight container is best – others say not, cause then they get sticky.

I’m baking mini vanilla cupcakes, and when i baked them the other day and placed them on the counter with an airtight lid on, they got very sticky…

?? so confused ??

• Stef November 8, 2012 at 4:03 am #

I store them in an airtight container at room temperature. It’s OK if they get sticky on the top because you are going to cover it with frosting.

• Anonymous November 8, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Thanks :)

6. K.C. February 12, 2014 at 1:36 pm #

If I am making chocolate cupcakes tonight with a buttercream icing and storing them in a baker box, do I need to wrap them so they stay fresh for 2 days or keep them in the fridge? Thanks!

• Stef February 12, 2014 at 1:55 pm #

They should be fine in the box.

7. Abby February 25, 2014 at 1:37 pm #

Hi there! Great advice. I’m also baking mini vanilla cupcakes for an event that’s on Thursday. Normally I would freeze them but I have a very small apartment and my freezer is full and prone to freezer burn.
    If I’m going to be frosting the cupcakes on Thursday before the event, is it alright to store them in a foil pan with a plastic lid? Do I need to wrap them also? Or should that be enough?
    Thank you!

8. Erin February 27, 2014 at 9:09 am #

I’d like to know your thoughts…1) filling cupcakes with store bought marshmallow crème. Can I use the creme straight from the jar or will it be to sticky? Should I mix it with butter (like rice krispie bars)? 2) What would be the best way to fill the cakes…hollow out the cake or inject with a decorating tip?

• Danielle July 5, 2014 at 10:33 am #

You should put the marshmallow creme inside the cupcake before its baked. Like do one layer of batter, then the marshmallow, then another layer of batter. That way its cooked inside . I’ve done this before with smores cupcakes and it came out perfect.